Silly question about frisky roosters...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by downeastthunderfarm, Dec 4, 2011.

1. downeastthunderfarm

downeastthunderfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Maine
    In our main coop we have one rooster - a Barred Rock. In the same coop/run we have 6 Barred Rock hens and 6 Buff Orpington hens. As best we can tell, the rooster only mates with the Barred Rock girls, not the Buffs. Is this normal? Is it likely that the rooster is sticking with his own breed? I assumed that he wouldn't be very picky about the hens. Or maybe it's just coincidence that we never see him with a Buff? I should mention that all of the chickens have just turned 6 months-old.

Silly, I know, but my husband, daughter and I are curious!

2. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    I have a silkie roo who only mates with silkies, but my neighbors goes for anything.

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Roosters are usually as opportunistic as most males of any species, but there are those with discriminating tastes. Sometimes, they won't mate with hens who give them a bad time about it, as one of my hens does with my Cochin roo - she can't stand him and will beat him up if he tries. Other times, a roo will have favorite hens and it may only be coincidental that they are of the same breed as he is. It usually has more to do with personality and fertility than appearance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by