Silly question on breed a hen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Heidi65, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Heidi65

Heidi65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    We have two hens that we would LOVE to have chicks from. I'm all too familiar with breeding AKC dogs but I don't know the first thing about getting chicks from our two favorite hens. We bought them as Americauna's (?) but the more we have researched we believe they are EE'rs. That isn't the reason we what chicks. We love the looks, the coloring, the personality, everything about these two.

How do you go about getting chicks? Can you just take them to a rooster, wait and hope for the best or?

Heidi

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :lau

Get a rooster they know what to do. Breeding chickens is not like dogs. You don't have to wait till they are in heat. You will also need a incubator To hatch the eggs.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  3. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Usually you'd have to have a rooster at your house to do what he does best for a while then get yourself a broody hen or an incubator and collect eggs for a while!

4. Heidi65

Heidi65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    I guess I should of said I know there is a need for a rooster LOL but we can't have a rooster where we live. Is it possible, like a dog, to take a hen to a rooster for, for lack of a better word, for stud service?

Heidi - who believe it or not knows the birds and the bees [​IMG]

5. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    I've been curious about studding chickens too! Everyone I know in my 4H group just says I'm crazy but I think its a perfectly valid option! LOL

6. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas

I belive you would have to leave her there for a while. with all the diseases that chickens can get from other birds I don't think it's worth it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  7. CascadiaRiver

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Very true, though if you have someone who keeps clean birds and such and hopefully not many diseases, its defiantly an option just maybe not as effective as having your own for a while xD

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This comes up frequently here and there have been many lengthy explanations written - the short version is that from a bio-security standpoint the idea is flawed -- it puts birds at both ends of the equation and all those birds in the flocks they belong to at risk. Additionally, due to the nature of integration of new birds, the timing of things IF DONE PROPERLY with true quarantine followed at each end of things, and allowing the time needed for the birds to reach a point of comfort where mating takes place, to get to the desired end result is impractical. The better solution is to obtain eggs that are fertilized from a flock to which the rooster already belong.

9. eggbert420

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas

Good answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by