Silly question... ornery chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Debs8, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Debs8

Debs8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    South Carolina

I now only have 5 chickens left, I have since made a pen for the girls after losing 3 to a coyote [​IMG] including my roo. So it is now just 5 hens. Anyway, my girls are now 6 months old. I have 2 hens that act very strange when I approach them. When I try to pet them, they will crouch down and and spread out as if they want to mate. I have seen this before. I am wondering if my girls are getting ready to lay eggs. And what do I need to do to start the process? Also, they seem very grumpy, fussy and very demanding. What is going on?
    Any help would be greatly appriciated....[​IMG]

2. WiMoSiFr

WiMoSiFr Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    Germany
    Sounds to me like you could expect eggs anytime now! If you let them out in a yard, I would be checking under stuff to see if one might be laying already.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You're exactly right! Your hens are "assuming the position" and you are their rooster. LOL That does mean that soon you will have eggs. It would be a good idea now, if you haven't already, to put a nesting box or two in your coop. Put some straw or wood shavings in there, and even a golf ball or fake egg if you want, to give them the idea on where to lay. It's almost time for those eggs! Good luck!

Sharon

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Gather the egg cartons they are ready to lay.

5. Debs8

Debs8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    South Carolina
    Okay! Thanks for letting me know its time to gather the eggs. They are laying pretty often now... oh my gosh... I'm so excited.
    With 5 young first timers, I'm getting 4 eggs a day. Thanks for the advice. And they do think I'm their rooster... that's just too weird... lol. When they assume "the position", I just stroke them on the back and then they're happy. What have I gotten myself into... lol.
    Oh, one more question... How long can an go without being collected?

6. robk0220

robk0220 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Wapwallopen, PA.
    are they doing the "puff and fluff" afterwards?

7. Debs8

Debs8 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    South Carolina
    Yes they sure are! Its too weird... lol. Should I get them a roo? Mine was taken by a coyote, it was terrible! But my fiance says that was a good thing... and of course that made me angry... lol. But he wasnt crowing yet either. I think that's what he was refering to when he said that was a good thing?!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  8. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Fluff & puff - that is too funny. My Barred Rock does that. When I pick her up after she squats, she closes here eyes and puffs out all her feathers like she's getting ready for the worst. Then she sings a funny little song. It's just adorable.

I was wondering if hens get frustrated not having a rooster.......

I just tell my little BR, "Be happy you're not getting clawed in the back..."
    [​IMG]

9. robk0220

robk0220 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Wapwallopen, PA.
    my wife calls it: "molesting the chickens"…

most probably figured it out, but the "puff and fluff" is what the girls do after mating…

10. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    if you decide to get a roo for them- you couldn't do better than a brahma or cochin.... they have great personality and are usually gentle to the ladies- love the fluff and puff description!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by