Silly question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texasgirl, Dec 11, 2007.

1. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    This may be a huge shot in the dark but does anyone have any idea what color eggs she might be laying? We have about 25 chickens and about 10 hens laying daily so finding out which belongs to who is a little difficult. We would like to hatch a few of her eggs in the spring because I think she is beautiful and our roo is quite handsome.
    We have RIR's, BR's, one Buff Orpington, two Araucana/Americana?'s and this EE girl all laying and every day we have big brown eggs, quite a few medium size pinkish and medium size light brown (and one little white banty egg, lol). I know caging her up is going to be the only sure fire way of knowing which is hers but I hate to do that to any of them because they scream their head off when separated from the group.
    I think some of you have similar looking girls, maybe y'all could make a wild guess on which eggs are hers?
    Thanks a bunch, I know it's kind of an impossible question [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    are her legs greenish? Slate colored or what? I have an ee that looks like her except for the legs. If it is the ee than it is the green eggs you need to be watching.

I think my buff orps are laying the monster sized eggs. If so I want to hatch lots of those. These eggs are huge!!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    You were right about one thing, she sure is a beauty!!

4. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    She is really pretty! She looks a lot like my EE "Brownie". I have 5 EE. 4 of them lay the greenish eggs, but Brownie lays a pinkish tan colored one.

5. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    Put her in a pen by herself for a day or two, if she lays an egg you will then know what to look for. She is..........very pretty.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

7. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    Silkie... that is exactly what I thought she is. She looks just like my black sex-links. I have 6 of them. I will see if I have a picture of them.

Take care,

Tami

8. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Silkie, do I see some black on your black sex-link's legs? I see the original photo has yellow legs?

9. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    She does look quite like a black sex-link, I don't think I've ever seen one before so I didn't realize the similarities.
    I know she is laying already and we have not had any greenish eggs so I guess thats not hers [​IMG] I might try incubating a few of the pinkish and a few of the brownish to begin with and see what pops out [​IMG] We love all the chickens so it's not like I'll ever be disappointed with what hatches, lol.

10. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Sounds like a fun experiment! How long have you had them? Did you receive them as day old chicks from a hatchery? My EE that looks like that does not lay greenish eggs for some reason. (Pinkish tan) EE can lay all shades from brown, pinkish, green, and blueish. I didn't realize that black sexlinks could look like that either. She is really pretty. Thanks for sharing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by