1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silly Question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cindyandal, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Cindyandal

Cindyandal Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Beaver Dams, NY
    Good Morning All,
    I know this is a silly question but can my chickens have a blueberry pie that we are not going to eat?

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    [​IMG]

I think so! Chickens can eat almost everything you can! [​IMG]

3. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    As a treat,* yes...but make sure you wipe their little faces...you know how blueberry stains.

*Many people suggest a high sugar diet isn't good for hens, but mine have pies and cakes from time to time...only a little, though. Btw, why didnt' that pie get eaten by human-folks? [​IMG]

4. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Quote:Yeah, why didn't you eat it? [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I can't come up with any reason not to. There should not be anything in it in a quantity that would hurt them. Too much of a good thing is often not a good thing, but I don't see any "too much" of anything in there.

I think from your signature you have about 20 chickens. The rule of thumb is to only give them enough treats that they can clean it up in 10 to 20 minutes and I'm not sure on the size of the pie. Maybe half one day and half the next?

6. Cindyandal

Sep 19, 2011
    Beaver Dams, NY
    LOL......Guess it wasnt all that great. BF loves pie but not fruity ones. [​IMG]

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I defrost frozen blue berries all the time and add them to yogurt and the morning treat thing but in a pie form I never gave it a try. They liked the fruit by itself.

8. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I've given mine various fruit pies I was given by friends for the chickens. They went crazy for them!

9. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    BTW...blueberries are very good for them, one of the highest levels of antioxidants.

10. Cindyandal

Sep 19, 2011
    Beaver Dams, NY
    Hey All,
    Thanks for your responses.!! They loved it. [​IMG] Didnt give them too much.....saved a bit for another day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by