silly question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by insanity, Jan 22, 2013.

1. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    i have 4 1year old full sized hens, i ordered 15 mixed sized chicks due in may, and i have another order of 9 bantams due in late july. There will be no two of the same breed/color.my question is when grown is it possible to safely integrate the mix of sizes and breeds without bullying or do i need to keep the bantams away from the full sized breeds.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The rule of thumb is when they are roughly the same size. Of course, it depends on your coop space and run space too. If you can put the babies in an area of the coop where they can see each other for a couple weeks before you put them together, it is easier on the birds. (and you) I don't have bantams, so I don't have experience integrating them into a large fowl flock, but some people keep LF and bantams together, so it can be done.

1 person likes this.
  3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I have all sizes of chickens together. As long as they have enough room to get out of each other's way I wouldn't think there should be an issue.

4. insanity

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    thanks
    my coop is large 8 boxes and 8 by 10, the run is almost 1/3 acre with a smaller 4-6 hen coop on the far end. so they will have room to run but who wants to live on the run right. i could divide the run i guess.

5. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    I already have a flock of 9 hens and planning to get 16 chicks in Spring. I am also building a new coop for the new ones since my existing coop will be too small for all of them. There is a long run 50 x 12 between the 2 coops so I think it is a good idea to build a wall with wood and chicken wire in the middle of the run so each flock will have their own space until they are old enough to be integrated, then I can take the wall off and let them mingle and free range together. Well at least this is my plan, I hope it works.

6. insanity

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    sounds like it would, congrats on the new girls. i just liked so many breeds i decided on one of each now they are adding up like calories.

7. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    insanity, I know what you mean, I have not gotten my new batch of chicks yet and I am already thinking what I am going to order next... you are right, they just keep on adding like calories[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by