Silly Questions, but I dont know the answer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmerFaith81, Jan 26, 2012.

1. FarmerFaith81

FarmerFaith81 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Carthage, In 46115
    So growing up I was always told that a chicken lays the egg, and then the rooster " sprays" the egg to fertilize it. Is this how it is truely done? Because recently I have been told that the rooster actually "gets" the hen, and then she lays a fertilized egg. I know my small birds actually have intercourse, so I am confused!!!

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    No, the fertilisation happens through mating and the hen lays the egg already fertilised. She can lay fertilised eggs for around 2 weeks from one mating.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  3. FarmerFaith81

Jan 11, 2012
    Carthage, In 46115
    Thanks for clearing up my confusion!

4. JoieD

JoieD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    Marysville, Ohio
    It's funny what parents will do to avoid talking about sex sometimes. My little sister was six years old and a real animal lover. She came screaming and crying from the barn one day "They're cutting their instincts off !!! They're cutting their instincts off !!!!!!!!!' My dad and a few other men were castrating some pigs. She is a vet now and certainly knows better, but she still calls castration cutting their instincts off !

5. FarmerFaith81

Jan 11, 2012
    Carthage, In 46115
    That is awesome!! Thanks for the laugh!!!

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I have seen my rooster with my hens doing natures call of procreation but it sure don't look like much is happening to me. [​IMG]

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Really? Geez, your roo must really cover up well. Mine gives a show even with tail and wings spread.

It was rough at first with a lot of squawking and I told my young kids that the cockerel was trying to love the girls but that he wasn't very good at it yet and that's why they're upset with him. And now that they mostly submit, the kids seem pretty confident that he's loving them nicer now. I told them that he's hoping they'll want to hatch his babies so they have a vague idea that it's all related but haven't yet asked for details. I'd think it would be harder to make up cover stories and try to remember them.

8. FarmerFaith81

Jan 11, 2012
    Carthage, In 46115
    I was out in the coop today just checking on things, and to my great joy, Henry was putting his ladies in check, its funny when the girls bow down to the groud while he is doing his little dance. I was worried about my little feller since he is a Seabright and the ladies are a larger breed. But he seems tobe doing his job well. =) Im hoping to see them "do" their "thing" I think it would be comical!

9. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Well, apart from sticking my nose down within inches of the target zone to observe the mechanics, I can tell you that when a rooster misses his target, it's a real wet mess. When he's hitting the target, things appear tidy and dry.

10. Lulee61

Lulee61 New Egg

Nov 12, 2011

It's so funny our rooster's name is Henry also and he's also a little fellow he's a Golden spangled Hamburg, Our flock is going to be 14 weeks old Monday the the 30th, He been actting like he may be trying a little cause the girls get kind of upset with him some , but I don't know this is my first time haveing or being around chickens so it's all new to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by