Silly raw food question regarding dogs

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickerdoodle13, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have a silly question and I'm pretty sure I know the answer already, but just want to be sure.

My dog has always been on commercial food, but I've been reading up on raw diets and thinking I would like to try and talk my parents (who are the dog's main caretakers) into trying some raw foods, maybe at the very least a hybrid diet. I saved a link that someone posted on the other raw thread and I've been reading through that. My mom will not doubt what I say, but she has always been a bit skeptical because of the risk of eating raw meat for humans.

A lot of times we have extra raw meat on hand. I would love to do a full raw diet, but I don't know if it will be possible since freezer space at my house is limited and I am not always around (with college and work). Does raw chicken has any adverse side effects on dogs? We often have a lot of extra chicken skin or bits of chicken because my family likes only the white bits. We usually cut off the rest before cooking. Could we also feed him raw innards? Like from a turkey for example? At this point both of these would be more a treat for him, but I think it would be a good way to start.

Also, what kind of meaty bones might be good for him? I've read they can be good for the teeth, but again, the parents are skeptical because one of their dogs had a bag incident with a cooked pork bone and it cost a lot of money to have it removed from the stomach. Do you have to introduce raw bones in a special way?

Also, can a cat be fed raw chicken and other meats? Again, to start this would all be in supplement to their normal commercial diet (Not a fan of commercial diets, but I only have so much control being away). My cat will eat just about anything, but my brother's cat is extremely picky. I'm interested to see if she will eat raw meat.

I will continue to read up and do research, but I know we have a lot of knowledgeable people here on BYC.

2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Raw bones are safe, its cooked bones that ca cause a problem.
    Anything can be fed (heart,liver, etc)

I dont feed raw all the time (my husband wont let me) but I pick up whatever is on sale/discount and feed it

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    How slow do I have to start with introducing the meat? I'm guessing if it's just a little bit here and there, he should be alright. Sometimes at our A&P, chicken thighs go on sale very, very cheap. I read that those are a good type of meaty bone to feed. I'm assuming as long as I watch him, he should be ok with eating the bones at first, right?

4. OtterCreekRanch

OtterCreekRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    NE Texas
    From what I had read about raw feeding, if you want to switch them over completely, it is best to go cold turkey with the kibble. Just feed them the raw and elminate the kibble all together when you do. The reason being raw and kibble digest at different rates and the kibble can actually slow the raw food down in the digestive tract which then can cause issues. As far as a diet that is part raw and part kibble I am not completely sure how to work that. You will want to leave enough space between the two to allow the raw to digest on its own since it is done more quickly and easily than the kibble. Not sure how good an idea it is to feed mosly kibble and give treats of raw. You do not apparently want the raw food to sit around in their system waiting for the kibble to go on through.

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I only feed raw every now and then and dont have a problem with it, but it probly is better to stick with just one other.
    He should be okn with the bones, jsut watch him and see.

6. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Ottercreekranch is right. Flip flopping or combining is more likely to cause problems. Some dogs can handle it but many cannot, and if you or your parents are nervous, it will put them off if the dog gets sick. Please go read www.rawfed.com its a great sight with easy to understand info.
    Raw is really easy once you relax and stop trying to be precise. As always, if anyone wants one on one help or more resources on raw, contact me and I will be happy to send info, chat on the phone etc.

7. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    you want to start with ONLY chicken as other emats are very rich and cause running poops its not good to do half kibble half raw since they are digest differantly and can cause upset stomachs so if your gonna go go all the way.
    they NEED the uncooked bones to firm the stools otherwise they will have such horrable poos that will dehydrte them.
    if your worried about the bones feed a little bit larger ones so they have to crunch them and cannot swollw them whole.
    check out this forum youll get all the info you need on switching to raw diet>>>>>>www.dogfoodchat.com/forum
    begining raw wrong can cause all sorts of bad things to happen severe running and watery stools are one of them they can be so severe that it causes severe dehydration and death
    you cannt feed oragans for the first 2 months depending on the dogs stools you cannot feed skin or fat either you cannot feed ANY OTHER meat but chicken for atleast 2 weeks stick with backs,necks and wings striped of fat and skin

8. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

my dog is on a compleat raw diet. i mix raw hamburger or steak with white rice. she loves it and does well on it.

9. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Quote:Hamburger and rice is NOT a complete diet in any way! It isn't species appropriate, and its lacking in minerals and chewing.

10. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hamburger and rice is NOT a complete diet in any way! It isn't species appropriate, and its lacking in minerals and chewing.

shes on vitamins, glocosamine, omega 3. and this diet. been on it her wwhole life. shes 17 years old. and has vet check ups. funny if its so bad hows she still living. she gets bones and treats during the day. so she has chewing. and she love carrots and gets one of thos a day. she still has all her teeth and there white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by