Silly Roo You're not a hen!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sixlittlechicks09, Jul 25, 2010.

1. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    So I was hanging out down in the coop today, putting up new flystrips and what not. I decided to take a little snooze in the hammock, and when I woke up I heard the most BEAUTIFUL (haha well sort of) song coming from my chicken coop! My first thought was OMGOMGOMG ONE OF MY HENS IS LAYING (which they're due to start anyday) But much to my surprise I peeked into the coop to see my 5mo old English Game Bantam ROOSTER sitting in a nest box. I quietly watched him for a few minutes, he was clucking in a loud, sort of pretty way, turning in circles and doing what looked to me like making a nest? He was sort of scratching the straw into a circle all the while clucking to himself. I unfortunately sneezed and he immediately gave me this look [​IMG], jumped out of the box and promptly strutted out the door. Is this normal for roos? Was he really building a nest? And *gasp* Does this mean I'll get eggs soon?! [​IMG] Haha. Or is he just a weirdo...

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    I'd like an answer to this too! I have a 13 week old roo that's been doing the same thing!!

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    He was encouraging the girls! Showing them that this is a nest and you're supposed to sit in it, lay an egg and then sing this song...all together girls now!
    Seriously. I've seen my roos with young pullets at the point of lay do this too.

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

He is being a good roo.

He is showing his ladies where to lay eggs to help pass his genes along.

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    What's funny with mine, is the one that's doing this ISN'T the dominant roo! In fact, he hardly ever crows, whereas the more dominant one crows (too much...lol) all the time and I've never seen him do anything to help the girl. Plus, none of my girls are old enough to lay yet.

6. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    [​IMG] Oh my goodness. That is TOO cute. I'm so excited for him and my hens now. I always knew he was a good boy [​IMG] Too bad my hens looked like they could care less. [​IMG] Maybe he'll get them to figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by