Silly Rooster wing thing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stina3246, Sep 7, 2010.

1. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    I've noticed that roosters will drop one shoulder, droop that wing and scoot sideways fluttering a little in order to....move the hens around? My sweet little Banty does it to his hens when they get too close if he's eating and shoo them away. My RIR used to do it to me before he launched an attack. What exactly is this behavior for. I mean, I can guess it's a dominance thing right?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, that's the Rooster Drop Wing & Circle LOVE Dance! He is courting a lady for sumpin' special!

A gentleman roo will wait until the lady squats, then he will mount her. Randy, youngster roos don't even do the Dance, but will try to grab and jump on for a bit of sumpin'.

They're not herding or shooing away anybody - they want some lovin'.

3. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Yes! They try to push the others around with their shoulders first. Then if they (or you) don't obey they will get agressive. The first time any of my roo's do this I will slowly walk at them until they move away. I then continue to walk at them for several minutes to assure them of MY dominance! I will even pick them up and carry them around as long as I can while I do my chores. This way they learn that YOU are incharge and they can NOT do what they want.

It is also part of the wing love dance. It depends on his actions and attitude!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  4. stina3246

stina3246 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2010
    LOL....well, that explains a few things. My roo is very young (5 months) so I guess he just hasn't perfected the dance yet. Same with my RIR Cinder. (Unfortunately he leapt over an 8 ft fence and got in with my dogs. I did not know they could fly that high) He was very young and he'd do that wing thing with me but I guess he got mad when I didn't follow his rules and attack. I would always "flap my wings" at him and walk at him to make him back off.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My dominant roo courts me sometimes. I'm sure he's still testing to see if he can put me in a submissive "one of my hens" roles. He brings me pretty leaves, a small round rock, and once an actual twig with a leaf on it. He makes the "come hither and see what I've got for YOU" sounds and lays the gift(s) at my feet if I'm sitting or standing still somewhere.

I think it's adorable but know better than to be put into the hen category, so I stand, say, "No, Carl," and walk towards him to make him back up and eventually turn away.

He only tried the Drop Wing Circle Dance of Love with me twice, several months ago but I stamped and circled HIM. He stopped that tactic right away.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It can be a courting maneuver or it can be an expression of dominance. Pretty typical of all roosters of all breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by