Silly Silkie! I think I have my first broodie!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cyanne, Nov 4, 2008.

1. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I have a lone silkie pullet in my flock of layers, she just started laying, and I think she is trying to go broody.

We are STILL in the process of moving, and I didn't expect it to take so long to get our house sold and close on the new one. Figured only one or two might start laying before the move, so I didn't build a nice nest box in the current coop. Instead, I made a temporary one out of a rubbermaid container with a hole cut in the side. So far it has worked great and they are using it perfectly, but now I have far more than 4 or 5 hens laying so i guess I need to add another nest box so they aren't waiting in line to lay!

Also, for the past few days, all of my chickens have had to share their one nest box with my goofy silkie pullet who thinks she is going to be a mom. She is sitting on the two fake eggs that I put in to teach them to use the box, plus she pulls any eggs that the others lay underneath her. When I collect eggs I have to go out and lift her up to get to them. She doesn't seem to care and goes right back to sitting as soon as I put her down. [​IMG]

I keep taking her out of the box and putting her out in the yard with the rest, but she always ends up right back there. If I had any eggs worth hatching right now, and wasn't trying to move, I would probably let her try to hatch some, but the only roosters I have with these hens are an OEGB and a modern game bantam. With the variety of standard layers I have that would make for a weird mixed breed chicken!

What do you guys think, can a silkie pullet who was hatched this Spring successfully hatch a batch of eggs? I was thinking I might order some for after we get moved and let her try to hatch them, but I was worried that she would get up too early or something since she is so young. Maybe I will try it with some inexpensive eggs just so she can work through this mothering thing...or maybe try putting some day-old chicks under her to see if she will adopt them and stop trying to hatch the fake eggs.

EDITED TO ADD: We should be closing on our current house today or tomorrow and closing on the new house tomorrow or Thursday and moving over the weekend. Finally moving to a place with some space! 5 acres for chickens, turkeys, horses, and goats! Yippee!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by