1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silly Silkie pic, includes my BYC cup!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mom 2em All, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Taking pictures yesterday morning, and caught Ashley, my goofy silkie getting a new view on things:

[​IMG]

Here is a better picture of her:

[​IMG]

You may remember me posting about Ziggy- the cross beak that I saved from my brother in laws farm. The skin and feathers pitiful banty. Not only is she doing well, she is alpha-chick! She isn't afraid to stand up to and chase the buff Orp pullets! In fact, when she is at the feeding trough- she will chase everyone away:

[​IMG]

And here is Carmen, the little chick that was found running down a suburb street. The same one that my weiner dog later attacked and removed all the skin from her back- and I thought for sure she wouldnt live through the night. You can see- feathers never did grow where the skin was removed, but the scar is covered by other feathers. It gives her a lumpy profile.

[​IMG]

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

That's quite an interesting collection you have there. Glad you took care of some that had bad experiences.
    Ahh, silkies, straight out of a Dr. Seuss book, gotta luv 'em. Everyone should have at least one silkie; they're like no other chicken.

3. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Yes. I have a very mixed collection of illegals. [​IMG]

It's for fun, not for any sort of production- eggs are bonuses. I have a turken also, and a Polish, and a mystery silver banty. Misfits fit in best around here. [​IMG]

edit to add:

Joe, I just read your 'high maintenance wives' thread, all sixteen pages. Now I have hiccups. First time I have ever laughed so hard before 7 a.m. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  4. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    It is interesting to think about the pecking order in chickens. And how you can change it.
    I feel that by holding and giving extra attention to the "lowleys" that they move up the ranks!
    I guess like raising kids to have self confidence.... [​IMG]

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Thats a pretty little splash Silkie...

6. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Thank you- she is pretty, isnt she?

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Yes, she is, VERY! I should have a few splashes and whites next week. Lady Victoria, my blue silkie, is setting eight eggs that I bought a couple of weeks ago. They're due to hatch Wednesday. My daughter-in-law wants a splash, and my niece wants a white one. Guess who gets to take care of those two forever. Other than those two, I'll be giving all that hatch away because three is all I can manage.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  8. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Oh, Joe...so you think..
    But it takes SO long to be able to tell which are roos and which are pullets..that by the time you discover it, you will be head over heels for more than just two...after all...whats ONE more splash...or one more white.....its not like they roost....they don't take up much room. I am sure you could even tell Anne, "But HUNNY...This one is for YOU..".....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by