Silly Silly Question

crazycoop12

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 6, 2012
I am shaking my head and rolling my eyes at myself as I ask this very very silly question. I have nesting boxes for my hens that are elevated, attached to the wall about 1 1/2 feet off the floor. My incubators are full. So, I was thinking I am going to let them set on some of the eggs and see if they hatch any out. My question is once the chicks are hatched how do they get down from the nesting box and back up in it?
idunno.gif
I know I know silly question. I have a brooder but I figure if they want to raise some I would like to let them. Ok everyone can give me a hard time after you quit laughing and answer my question.
lau.gif

actually i think it's a pretty good question. i'll just have to wait to see what kind of answers you get. my guess is to create a temporary "ladder" from the floor to the box. i think i would also put some kind of lip on the nest box that allows the hen to get out but postpones the inevitable & keeps them in for as long as possible.

Do you have a broody hen? If not , the hens will not automatically sit on eggs, or accept your new chicks and they will have to be raised in a brooder and introduced when they are older. There are some great threads on how to go about this!

If you have a broody you want to put the eggs under, I would maybe try to move her down with the eggs to a box, dog carrier, crate, etc. Chicks learn to jump up pretty quick, but that is quite a distance, and I would be afraid of them falling and getting hurt, especially when they are hours old and unsteady on their feet.

Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom