Silly sleepers (picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by stoutfamily, Mar 26, 2011.

1. stoutfamily

stoutfamily Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    I'm not sure about everyone else, but I let my chicks run all over my house. They seem to prefer to sleep on a lap or on the couch rather than in the brooder or roosting.
    One of my girls, Buffy (the RIR), always seems to fall asleep in the cutest ways. She seems especially prone to falling asleep and having her head droop down. [​IMG]
    My other one, Hoot, an EE mostly just likes to lay on her side.

Hoping others will share cute sleeping pictures of their chickens!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Those are some tired chicks! The first time I had chickens, I thought they were dead every time I saw them sleeping like that!! Enjoy your babies!

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    AWWWW!!! [​IMG]

Your itty bitty's were so sleepy!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I loved seeing your pictures! Just adorable!!!!

IF it weren't for the dogs who are already ticked off about all the time (and yard) I've given up to the chickens, I'd probably have mine in the house, too. Well, SOME of them... with 50 some chickens and 30 some chicks in brooders, it would be more than chaos. [​IMG]

However, I do have the Nursery in the bathroom, and I don't have lids on the brooders. So I'm surrounded by the older chicks who have learned how to get out of the brooder. And the babiest are starting to lean ow to jump to the edge of their brooder...

Late at night, I will enter the bathroom and find everybody asleep in all their brooders. The older ones are visible, because they don't sleep under an EcoGlow. They're 6 weeks old now, and cover most of the bottom of the brooder in a layer of sleeping chicks.

...and one or two will look up and blink at me when I enter.... then drop back off to sleep again. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  5. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    [​IMG].love it great kodack moments...[​IMG].

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    How do you deal with the poop with the free range house chicks?

7. Equest94

Equest94 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    New York
    Haha! How cute!

One of my new chicks seems to have an odd sleeping style. While the others are laying down, sprawled out, etc, this one keeps standing and slowly noods off and its head begins to droop. All of a sudden, it's sound asleep, still standing, but balancing on its head - it's the funniest and weirdest thing ever. I'll have to try to snap a picture the next time I see this! [​IMG]

8. stoutfamily

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    gryeyes - My dog is terribly jealous I think, but I'm allergic to him so I can't keep him inside anyway [​IMG]. I've only got 2 chicks now now so it's not too bad for them to be in the house. I can't imagine having so many! We live in a little place now but hopefully one day I can have enough space for all those chickens!

old geezer - Thanks! These are the first chicks I've raised so I'm a little camera happy with them! [​IMG]

Stacykins - It's a mess!! We have tile in the living room area so I try to keep them there and it isn't too bad to clean up after. Our hen that just passed away was pretty well potty trained, and would let us know if she needed out, but the little ones aren't old enough yet. I sewed a diaper off a pattern I found online but neither of them will let me put it on them yet to see if it will work [​IMG] I'm still trying for diapers though!

Equest94 - My girls have done that before too! Just so adorable! Would love to see a picture [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  9. stoutfamily

Aug 5, 2010
    Tempe, AZ
    They're at it again.... being so cute!

Buffy REALLY wanted to peck Hoot's head in this first photo. She actually did right after I took it!

[​IMG]

Here's Hoot on her side again. She must be pretty comfy like that!
    Buffy is all about attention and had to try to get my camera!

[​IMG]

10. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Quote:you too??? they are so funny- zooming around and suddenly- droop...the first pic is that one that seems her battery gives out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by