Silly subject, but I got such a good feeling from it...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Sore Thumb Suburbanite, May 17, 2011.

1. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    6:15 husband wakes me up after a restless night (I moved the brooder for my ducklings and gosling outside and kept waking up at every noise fearful of predators trying to get them) and right off I know I want to have biscuts for breakfast....So I get up to a rainy southern california gloom and a house that is definately too cold to be barefoot and go out to the kitchen.
    My motivation is biscuts and breakfast for husband...in less than 25 minutes! I turned the oven on, selected a recipe that has bested me twice (i'm usually such a good cook, so meeting a recipe I can't master is very rare) and threw it all together as fast as possible. I didn't even grab the rolling pin I just beat the dough into a rough giant pancake and cut out the biscuts... 14 minutes later husband was sitting and eating his scrambled eggs over honey ham and a side of grapefruit and as he finished it all off the biscuts were ready... and PERFECT! They looked AMAZING!!!! I felt like I had just mastered kung fu... I was able to offer the best looking, hottest, freshest most light and fluffy breakfast biscut ever to my husband. He took three, inserted some slabs of butter, rolled them into a paper towel, gave me a kiss goodbye and took off. A little anti climactic, but this is reality and he is always early to work. I sat down and had 2 of the most delightful butter saturated and honey covered biscuts I ever made while I stood near the open oven. NOW THATS A GOOD MORNIG'S WORK.

2. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    Great Job! I love mornings like that. Usually means I get to kick butt on the rest of the day as well [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Well done, I love days that work out well, despite a rough start.

BUT..... being somewhat new, you must have missed the Golden Rule of BYC. Do not ever post about food without including the recipe!!! [​IMG] And pics are even better!

I wish I had a nickel for every hockey puck I've baked. [​IMG]

4. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    Quote:My recipe that I used thismorning was for buttermilk biscuts from the 1961 edition of the BETTY CROCKER cookbook (cliche I know, but its a good standard with well tested, tried and true recipes) and You HAVE to wear a cute apron to use this book... just FYI...unless you are a man I guess.

2 cups unbleached flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/3 cup salad oil (I used canola)
    2/3 cup buttermilk (I used really fresh buttermilk) I pour the oil and buttermilk in the same cup measurer.

mix all dry ingredients, then pour oil and buttermilk together into bowl, stir with large fork until mixture forms into dough and sides are swept clean. The directions tell you to knead with wax paper---phuoey! So knead it about 20 times (don't use extra flour...its not that sticky) and then bang it out to a generous 1/2" thick, cut with smaller round cookie cutter-place on a thin cookie sheet-then pop in oven @ 450degrees for 10-12 minutes and you're done...make sure you have butter and clover honey ready right away.... ahhhhhhhhh. this recipe made a dozen 2" tall heavenly biscuts.

By the way, I screwed this recipe up last week and felt really bad about throwing out the result---having no chickens and I knowing my ducks would snub the offering, I froze them all and fully intend to chuck them over the neighbor's wall the next time her dogs go on a barking spree.

OK, here are thismorning's pictures... I had to go back and put them on the tray...and then I HAD to heat up two more and put lots of honey and butter on them and eat them....I learned my lesson....
    mmmmmmmnnnnnn hoooooonnnnneeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  5. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What a way to start the day. I'd have to double my cholesterol meds if I put that much butter on them.[​IMG]

7. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:My recipe that I used thismorning was for buttermilk biscuts from the 1961 edition of the BETTY CROCKER cookbook (cliche I know, but its a good standard with well tested, tried and true recipes) and You HAVE to wear a cute apron to use this book... just FYI...unless you are a man I guess.

2 cups unbleached flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/3 cup salad oil (I used canola)
    2/3 cup buttermilk (I used really fresh buttermilk) I pour the oil and buttermilk in the same cup measurer.

mix all dry ingredients, then pour oil and buttermilk together into bowl, stir with large fork until mixture forms into dough and sides are swept clean. The directions tell you to knead with wax paper---phuoey! So knead it about 20 times (don't use extra flour...its not that sticky) and then bang it out to a generous 1/2" thick, cut with smaller round cookie cutter-place on a thin cookie sheet-then pop in oven @ 450degrees for 10-12 minutes and you're done...make sure you have butter and clover honey ready right away.... ahhhhhhhhh. this recipe made a dozen 2" tall heavenly biscuts.

By the way, I screwed this recipe up last week and felt really bad about throwing out the result---having no chickens and I knowing my ducks would snub the offering, I froze them all and fully intend to chuck them over the neighbor's wall the next time her dogs go on a barking spree.

OK, here are thismorning's pictures... I had to go back and put them on the tray...and then I HAD to heat up two more and put lots of honey and butter on them and eat them....I learned my lesson....
    mmmmmmmnnnnnn hoooooonnnnneeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/88880_may_18_2011_143.jpg

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/88880_may_18_2011_141.jpg

Oh. My. Those are gorgeous! And with the honey? I think I might just swoon..... face first into those biscuits! Thank you, thank you...... [​IMG]

8. cackydoodledoo

cackydoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Crazyville, USA
    Just putting myself up there so I can come back and get this recipe tonight!! Oh and thanks because now I am hungry!

9. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:That's honey, honey! [​IMG]

10. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Duh, maybe I should read all the posts instead of just skimming.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by