silly sussex

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Iteach2008, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Iteach2008

Iteach2008 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    My Sussex, named Lady will sit in the nest box for four or five hours and never lay. What the heck is that? I thought a Sussex was a high yield layer?

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] From Ohio

Hello Iteach, are you feeding your hens a good layer feed? And, are they drinking plenty of water?
    As for your Sussex hen, "Lady" being a nesting lounger, are there any other hens currently laying daily? It could be that Lady needs some example of what she should be doing. My hens and rooster all cheer as each hen takes her turn on the nest.[​IMG]

3. Iteach2008

Iteach2008 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Hello,
    Yes, I believe we are feeding them a good food. Layena with omega 3s. We switched to that about 2 months ago. Come to think that was the last time my Australorp laid. Maybe the food change upset the production. Lady, my Sussex lays once or twice a week. My Australorp quit laying. My chickens sing out too. Especially our Minnie Pearl (hence the name) she really advertises. She is a sex-link. My Wyndotte lays daily. I guess the two chickens that have been on vacation are the Sussex and my Australorp. We put out some oyster shells in the chicken scratch yesterday thinking maybe that was the problem. Who knows. They are all healthy just not producing. We have six chickens and get, if lucky, two to three eggs a day. If we are lucky. My husband walked up and down the fence line yesterday banging on the crock pot. LOL but I doubt they take him serious.

Any other ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by