Silve Laced Wyandotte comb issues!!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickiebabe851, Jul 28, 2013.

1. chickiebabe851

chickiebabe851 In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2013
    [​IMG]I have two silver laced wyandottes.   One I am confident is a pullet.  The other I have my concerns.  Their combs are extremely different in size and type.  The one (gender in question) top of the comb looks as if it got cut and is bleeding.  Not sure if it is a cokerel or pullet but would like some feedback and opinions! Please!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    The top one looks just like a cockerel - they get a huge comb.

3. chickiebabe851

Jun 14, 2013
    Can roosters look the same as hens? (feather pattern) Ive seen hens with bigger combs but still not sure. They are 4 months, when would he start to crow?

4. nfitzgeraldRN

nfitzgeraldRN In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2013
    Roggen Colorado
    I have a blue laced wyandotte. He is 15 weeks and just started crowing last week. He still doesn't do it every day though but I have another roo who gets him going once in a while. Yours looks like a roo to me. Here is my guy.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Is his comb still bleeding? I would try to clean it up and put some "blood stopper" on it. Maybe a little bacitracin. If it continues to bleed the others may peck at him and make it worse and you may have to separate him.

5. nfitzgeraldRN

Apr 23, 2013
    Roggen Colorado
    Depends on the breed I think.

6. theoldguy

theoldguy In the Brooder

May 27, 2013
    left on is a hen ,one on the right is a rooster. the comb is right (Rose comb) :) good birds :)

7. chickiebabe851

Jun 14, 2013
    [​IMG]

I only have two and the other hen has a little blood on her comb so I think they're pecking each other. They're the same size the only difference is the comb. I'm scared its a roo! Whenever I go to the coop "it" clucks a lot like its talking to me but no distinct crowing sounds

8. chickiebabe851

Jun 14, 2013
    I've seen other SLW hens with combs like that, thats why I'm convinced it's a hen! That and for the breed, other roos have more white throughout their body. Is there any chance they could both be hens?!

9. nfitzgeraldRN

Apr 23, 2013
    Roggen Colorado
    I was in denial about my BLW being a roo...until he crowed. Give it time, they will let you know their sex!

10. chickiebabe851

Jun 14, 2013
    Your BLW is a beauty! and big! this is a hen with a larger comb. I guess Im just praying I dont have to get rid of him if it turns out to be a boy [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: