Silver Appleyard breed standard?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zzGypsy, Sep 30, 2011.

1. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    hey there,
    So I've been looking for Silver Appleyards, and I've got some hatching eggs coming in the spring. in the mean time, I've found a young trio, and am interested in finding out what kind of quality they are... where can I find the breed standard? I'm not new to ducks, but I'm new to the breed standard thing. I'm conteplating showing next year, but I have a lot to learn, so I thought I'd start with "are these ducks worth trying with?"

so...

question one: where can I find the breed standard?

question two: anyone with experience in this area that would be willing to give a look at some photos and give an opinion on their quality?

thanks!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The breed standard is in The American Standard of Perfection , often simply called the SOP.

Sorry I can't post it for you. It is copyrighted material, and even if it weren't, it's much too long to type out. If you are interested in quality birds, you should have your own copy, anyway. It's a top quality book and well worth the price.

It's vaguely possible that your local library might have a copy, or else be willing to obtain a copy for you to look at.

If you know the local 4-H poultry leader, they will have a copy.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  3. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    thanks for the information! the whole showing thing will be a new excursion for me.
    looking forward to those excellent spring hatching eggs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by