Silver Appleyard Breeding Problem

QueenofShibas

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2016
Kentucky
I am trying to breed my Silver Appleyards, the girls are not cooperating with the drake. The three ducks and a drake came from the same breeder so I separated the girls and put them with a different drakes to prevent line breeding. The drake is trying but the girls are not cooperating with him, they refuse to drop their heads and will not lay down. If he does get one she won't raise her tail. It's only been 5 days so I can't collect hatching eggs for at least another 5 days. Should I give him more time or switch drakes? Has anyone had a similar problem? The only reason I'm breeding is to replace ducks a dog killed. It was a dump off stray that got 10 of my girls (right after I got the okay to sell eggs at a local Farmer Market)
Yes, one is missing part of her bill, she eats and drinks fine and it's growing back great. I don't know what happened my best guess was Snapping Turtle but I couldn't find it and haven't had a problem since.

Sorry about the ducks and congrats on the Farmers Market Approval.

It might be a little more time unfortunately. The drake is obviously interested, I think chickens really has a pretty good idea. Offer them a small pool of water to breed in.

Thank you for the advice, I gave them a kiddie pool and he was able to breed one while she was distracted trying to get into the pool. Either way they seem to be happy to have more water to play in. I have a creek that most of the ducks spend the day in. The drake is only 8-12 months, I know he's old enough, just inexperienced. Hopefully I'll have lots of eggs for the Easter Hatch!

Thank you for the advice, I gave them a kiddie pool and he was able to breed one while she was distracted trying to get into the pool. Either way they seem to be happy to have more water to play in. I have a creek that most of the ducks spend the day in. The drake is only 8-12 months, I know he's old enough, just inexperienced. Hopefully I'll have lots of eggs for the Easter Hatch!

Both of my Drakes are young too...Also my hens.....I just hatched out 10 Ducklings....The water does work....Glad I could help...

Best of luck having Ducklings!

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom