Silver Appleyard Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by call ducks, Mar 15, 2011.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Ok, there must be a few people raising Silver Appleyards on here, i have a pair of not bad appleyards that i put in the breeding pen today. I believe i have the only pure breeding pair in my Province, that do not throw sports.

I already have a plan for the extra/cull drakes (and maybe the extra/cull ducks) [​IMG] (i should book the butcher soon....) but i well have a strict breeding/culling program going for my birds. i am going to go out and get more/newer pictures soon (today) but these are the pictures i have.

Here are some pictures of my drake... i am going to get some pictures of my duck on wensday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pictures coming soon!! (off to work on the science fair project....)

Now post your pictures of Silver Appleyards

2. thekid

thekid Songster

miniature appleyards will be the first ducks i ever get no exception unless holdderrands closes

3. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:Cool! But the Mini silver appleyards, are genetically different in how the colour is made up. I belive in the UK there silver bantams are our Miniature silver appleyards [​IMG]

4. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Songster

Jan 24, 2010
    I'm in Canada also...there is a farm that breeds amazing looking silver appleyards and she also has saxony. Check her out [​IMG]

http://www.cirrushillfarm.ca/

5. stonecottagefarm

stonecottagefarm In the Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Pacific NorthWest
    does anyone know when the drakes start feathering out? I have a mix of both silver and white appleyards about 3-4 weeks old. Trying to not only sex them out but also tell the whites from the silvers. Any advice?

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't keep track of things like feather schedule, but I've got 5 week old Appleyards right now that have silly looking large pin feathers on their wings. They have about half their body feathers in, but I'm am a bit skeptical that you can tell color until they molt the baby feathers and get their first adult coat.

However, I can tell at this point that they are not white.

It must be possible to tell when they are first hatched, because you can order either silver or white. I've got two white ducks (different breed) and they are definitely going to be white. They are solid yellow when hatched, and still yellow now. They are very obviously a different color from my silver appleyards, who are coming in quite brown.

7. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Hi

There is only one color of appleyard... Silver White "appleyards" i belive orrgenated from Hollanders(sp??) and should be culls IMO

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    White didn't originate from anywhere. It is just a color that pops up every now and again in a hatch of purebred Appleyards.

It is not a recognized color, so not showable except as "other varieties" and not eligible for best in show awards.

I wouldn't expect to receive a white in an order of Silver Appleyards, but some hatcheries are a bit lower in ethics than others.

The Silver Appleyards should be yellow with a dark mohawk and a dark tail when they are first hatched. They look quite brown when their feathers first come in.

I have never seen a white Appleyard. I would expect them to be all yellow as ducklings and when their feathers started to come in, the feathers would be white. I've heard that they will have scattered black feathers in the white, but, like I said, I've never seen one.

The correct Silver Appleyards are not silver in color (like a splash duck sometimes is, or a light blue). They are basically a lightened version of the standard mallard coloring, nothing silver about their coloring at all.

White Appleyards are still Appleyards. They just aren't recognized for shows. If a person is raising purebred ducks, I would prefer to see them breeding to the standard. But there are plenty of non-standard and mixed breed ducks who make lovely pets. I've got nothing against pets, and keep many pets myself, who are loved and well cared for.

9. 20123001

20123001 Songster

Jan 20, 2011
    Delavan, Wi
    i just want to make a comment on white appleyards, i have found it to be impossible not to get them when you breed two purebred appleyards, its just the way their genotype is, so your not creating mixed breed ducks when you have them. If you breed a white appleyard and a normal colored one you will get the normal applyard coloring!!!

10. Mayfiel511

Mayfiel511 In the Brooder

Feb 19, 2019
    New Jersey
    What is the best age to harvest Appleyards? I'm new to this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: