Silver breeds with colorful eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mr. Tburg, May 20, 2019.

1. Mr. Tburg

Mr. Tburg Chirping

Apr 30, 2018
    I'm wanting to start a flock of silver hens and ccl with each hen laying different colored eggs. I have a ccl rooster and hen and want to be able to sex chicks when hatched ccl is autosexing and sex the rest by color. I read if you cross a ccl with a silver hen you can sex by color. Is this possible and what silver breeds are there and what color are there eggs

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. Mr. Tburg

Mr. Tburg Chirping

Apr 30, 2018
    Could be white or chocolate eggs too just want as many different colors as possible

3. Fairyloop5

Fairyloop5 Songster

May 3, 2019
    Can we have pics?

4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    It does work. Your pullets will be much brighter in colour than their sire is, because they will have only one copy of the ig dilution gene, which changes your rooster's colour from gold to cream. This should make them easy to tell apart from the silver males.

[​IMG]

I'd get silver Wheaten Ameraucanas. (Usually just called silver ameraucanas) for blue eggs.

Silver Birchen Marans will also carry silver. (Birchen almost always refers to a silver-carrying bird, but it can also refer to gold.) for chocolate.

Any white Columbian bird carries silver.

5. Mr. Tburg

Mr. Tburg Chirping

Apr 30, 2018
    AWESOME!!!
    Then I would be hatching sex linked EE'S and Olive Eggers and know what color eggs they will produce?

6. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    The Marans' chicks should lay olive eggs. (Assuming you get good, chocolate-egg-laying stock. I advise avoiding hatchery birds and going to a quality breeder instead, as eggshell colour is really hard to get right—you don't even see the eggs until the pullet's a few months old, and you never see what colour the cockerel would lay, if he were female, so it's really hard to breed for good eggshell colour.)

True Ameraucanas (rather than Americanas or Easter Eggers) should lay blue eggs. If you breed them with a CCl, their offspring should lay blue eggs.

Ghosty and Mr. Tburg like this.
  7. Mr. Tburg

Mr. Tburg Chirping

Apr 30, 2018
    Yeah I'd be buying hatching eggs so I can see the eggs color

Ghosty and sylviethecochin like this.
  8. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    If you use a CCL you'll be limiting all your offspring's egg color to a shade of blue or green.
    CCL crosses can't produce white or brown egg layers.

9. Mr. Tburg

Mr. Tburg Chirping

Apr 30, 2018
    Yeah that's fine mainly care about the hens having different colored eggs from each other so I know which hen layed each egg

10. Mr. Tburg

Mr. Tburg Chirping

Apr 30, 2018
    I was mainly trying to find out if there's a list of silver gene chickens that shows what color there eggs are

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: