Silver Cochins and loose stools

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NightsInWhiteSilkies, Nov 3, 2011.

1. NightsInWhiteSilkies

NightsInWhiteSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2011
    Hello there!
    Im sure this has been brought up before but Im new to this site (my first day!) and Im curious why my little silver cochins are having diarhea?
    Im using pine shavings in their broader. Their in my bedroom and I have two thermometors in their broader. One is usually at about 80 and the other one which is near the heat lamp is usually at about 90 but has gotten as high as 95 and it seems that is usually where they are sitting is directly under the light. Ive read if its too hot they might get diarhea but Ive also read if their right under the light then the rest of the area might be chilly. So Im a bit lost but would like to get their stools back to normal.
    I beleive the little ones are at about 4 weeks old but one has some feathers, then the other has more then the bigger one has quite a bit more as it seems they are each a little bigger than the little one.
    Their eating medicated baby chick food and that is it with fresh water changed sometimes 4-5 times a day.
    Could the lamp be too hot for them?
    Also what can I start giving them for treats?
    Ive read so many different things which Im hesitant to give them anything at this time so just would like different feed back on why their stools are loose.
    Their stools are a milk chocolate color, it does smell and runny. One is okay but two has the diareha and they are both the smaller of the two.

So help with the loose stools and what treats to feed them at that age?

Thankyou so much and boy oh boy is it really neat to find a site like this!!!

Oh I forgot the chicks are cochins and they are mostly black with white on their feathers and the forehead is black mixed with a creamy low colored white or a yellowish color.

Thankyou for your help!

xoxo3lilchicks!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  2. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    At 4 wks old they don't need a heat lamp at all. Especially inside. I'd start putting it further and further away for a few days and after a week just don't use it. Cochins are awesome, my favorites [​IMG] Not sure on the diarrhea.....they poop SO much at that age. That's the kind of stools mine had at that age also. The medicated feed will prevent coccidia (most strains). And if they haven't been around any other chickens they couldn't have picked anything up.
    For treats you can give them a few bites of fruit, pumpkin, watermelon, peas, anything like that. Not enough to upset the balance of their food but tiny specks several times a day go a long ways in getting them to love you back.

3. NightsInWhiteSilkies

Nov 3, 2011
    Okay Ill start doing that with their lamp. My room is a heat wave right now due to them and I cant sleep well so that is good for me too. [​IMG] My room was normally at about 70-75 degrees so is that a good temperature for them?
    Also the food info is awesome and Ill go buy some tomorrow for them and also thankyou for telling me how much to give them. I would of given them probably way more to plump them up. lol...
    Ive had exotic birds most my life. 3 different types cockatoos, austrailian ring necks and a few amazons but these little chicadees are going to be much easier for me to handle plus eventually theyll be outside and they arent near as neady as exotic birds were but its hard not to become too addicited to letting them out of the little cage and hop around close by it. They are sooo funny to watch them hop and scratch at their food and when I go in the bedroom they start chirping for me which is soooo neat!

Anyhoo, thankyou!

4. NightsInWhiteSilkies

Nov 3, 2011
    Just curious. After the chicks are off of the lamp what should the temperature of the room be for them while inside until going outside?
    Should I acclimate them to cold conditions at the end inside so when they go outside their used to it?
    thankyou for any help!

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by