Silver Cuckoo Marans roo/cockerel or hatching eggs wanted (AL)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by peachychick, Jan 29, 2011.

1. peachychick

peachychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    HI,
    We'd like to find a healthy, able-bodied silver cuckoo marans male for a breeding project. We live in AL and will be in Newnan, GA for the CVPA show next month if pick-up there is possible.
    Dark egg color more important to us than the leg feathering. If you have hatching eggs, we'd be willing to try those also.
    Thank you,
    Kelli

2. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    A dark egged cuckoo is a rare thing indeed.

I have a hen from Ron Presley's line, though I think he no longer has them. She lays a very dark egg for a cuckoo. Maybe a 6-7. BUT she's the lousiest layer I've every seen. Maybe 20-30 eggs in her 18 month life. I'm not saying they're all like that. But she is.

Maybe post over on the Marans thread to see who has the good cuckoos?

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Did you check with quailladyoffortmyers? I don't know if she'd have a grown cock but she's always hatching the eggs. Her cuckoos (straight cuckoo, not silver) won an egg show recently though I don't remember which show. [​IMG]

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have a silver cuckoo cockerel available. He is clean legged but came from a 6 egg. The Dad is feather-legged and mom isn't so he carries recessive for feathered shanks but has potential for dark eggs. I can post photos of the eggs and him. He sure is handsome. I think I mentioned on marans club usa forum too? I am not going to Newnan but submitting eggs. I would prefer to give the cockerel a home tho so pm or email me if you would like him or see photos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by