1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver duckwing/ splash hen

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by poston071614, May 22, 2016.

1. poston071614

poston071614 New Egg

May 21, 2016
    I crossed a silver duckwing rooster with a splash hen, and I want to know what my colors world be please let me know if anyone has done this or knows what my colors will be

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

All offspring will appear Blue.

3. poston071614

poston071614 New Egg

May 21, 2016
    Will they have the silver neck as a silver duckwing and blue underneath or just like any other blue?

4. poston071614

poston071614 New Egg

May 21, 2016

Will they have the silver neck as a silver duckwing and blue underneath or just like any other blue?

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Sorry for the very late response, I've been very busy with work and hatching.

All should appear solid Blue, but may have some Silver leakage.

6. poston071614

poston071614 New Egg

May 21, 2016

That's no problem, what is the reason behind that out come?

7. Wappoke

Wappoke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2015
    The silver (white) color in the offspring is due to the dominant sex linked silver gene. The father will give a silver gene to every offspring so every offspring has the ability to express white feathers.

When a breeder crosses a non-black parent with a splash parent, the splash parent will give one blue gene to each offspring, therefore, every offspring will express blue plumage. The splash parent is genetically black, the two blue genes the parent carries causes the black plumage to dilute to splash plumage.

In order to have a self black (solid black) chicken, the genes that cause the black plumage are usually purebred. They must carry two genes that are just alike- that is purebred. For example one of the genes that help produce a black chicken is melanotic. Most black chickens carry two melanotic genes and are ML*ML/ML*ML When you cross the silver male with the splash female, the offspring are going to be hybrid for most of the genes that produce a black chicken. The chicks will now carry an Ml*ml, and not have two melanotic and be hybrid at the melanotic locus. This hybrid state allows for some non-black to show up in the plumage.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by