Silver Duckwing X Wheaten = Various Duckwing or similar babies. So how did these little guys happen?

QueenMisha

Queen of the Coop
9 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Placerville, California, USA
Hey everybody. I did a gamefowl hatch this past week. I've only hatched one chick from them in the past, a little cockerel who turned out just like I expected - Silver Duckwing with lots of red thanks to his daddy's autosomal red. These guys, not so much.

I put in 5 gamefowl eggs and three hatched. Here they are:

The Duckwing chick is what I expected to get. Although I was a little phased by the single comb - but, I don't know the history of either parent, so I'm thinking maybe momma is a heterozygous pea comb bird and dad was single comb before being dubbed?

The other two have me totally stumped. Is this recessive white or something?

I know for sure this wasn't an accidental crossbreed. The father and mother are kept separate from the rest of my flock at all times as the female is highly aggressive and the male is an ex-fighting cock, and they can't be allowed with other chickens.

Another note - all three chicks have pink/yellow legs, but momma's were slate and daddy's were willow. I'm not familiar with leg color genetics so that's a bit confusing.

Parents:

And my results doing this cross on the chicken calculator, just like I expected:

Hey everybody. I did a gamefowl hatch this past week. I've only hatched one chick from them in the past, a little cockerel who turned out just like I expected - Silver Duckwing with lots of red thanks to his daddy's autosomal red. These guys, not so much.

=
Hi,
I think this color is called a "white pearl". I had one very similar to this when I was trying to breed BBR Marans. It was a really weird hatch. One was an e+/eb male who feathered out like BBR. The other was this White Pearl color, tho it took me months to find out what it was called. That pearl chick was owned and raised by the lady who incubated the eggs for me. She kept it and last I saw it many years ago it was growing out as a larger version of what you see here, about 6 weeks old at that time. Here's a pic of those two chicks( supposedly from a BBR Marans mating, ( yeah, right, sigh).

on left: e+/eb male chick. on right : White Pearl" chick (sex unknown)
Best,
Karen

The Duckwing chick is what I expected to get. Although I was a little phased by the single comb - but, I don't know the history of either parent, so I'm thinking maybe momma is a heterozygous pea comb bird and dad was single comb before being dubbed?
whoa, that is one seriously modified wildtype chick! Very pretty tho. Is this a e+/eWh with Silver? I see the Silver Wheaten mixed with the e+(wildtype). Never seen it quite as bold as this tho. Usually the white has rather a yellow cast to it. What are you expecting in the adult? That adult cock you showed a pic of above looks like a Red Shouldered Silver Duckwing ( as you said the autosomal red was there). So maybe this chick is an e+/eWh Red Shouldered Silver Duckwing chick?
Very interesting, thanks for sharing,
Karen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom