1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Genes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SunnySideUpGUAM, Jan 3, 2016.

1. SunnySideUpGUAM

SunnySideUpGUAM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2016
    GUAM True Paradise
    Im not too sure if anyone has asked yet, but is there any breed that all hens are for sure a silver gene hens? Is there a way to tell if a white hen is a river hen? Or do you always have to test each white hen first before using her to create a red sex link?

2. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Hens that carry a silver gene include Delawares, Columbian Wyandottes, Columbian Plymouth Rocks, Light Brahmas, Silver Leghorns, Rhode Island Whites, Light Sussex, Dark Brahma, and Silver-Laced Wyandottes. Here's a great thread that provide breeding information on breeding Red and Black Sex-Links with charts indicating what can be used in crosses: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

3. SunnySideUpGUAM

Jan 3, 2016
    GUAM True Paradise
    Thanks blackberry I'm thinking delawares, but are some Rhode Island Whites dominant or recessive white?

4. Blackberry18

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    I'm not for sure on that, but they would have to recessive, because dominant white can't work in a sex-linked cross (all the offspring would be white, assuming the hen is homozygous for white. Heterozygous might work on a couple of birds, but in either case, the breeder would probably think he hatched all males [​IMG]).

5. SunnySideUpGUAM

Jan 3, 2016
    GUAM True Paradise
    ill probably try the delawares or light sussex before a straight white bird!

6. Blackberry18

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Makes sense, you'll probably end up with better Sex-Links!

7. SunnySideUpGUAM

Jan 3, 2016
    GUAM True Paradise
    nice thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by