Silver/Grey chick breed ID help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by elliesaurus, Jan 18, 2017.

1. elliesaurus

elliesaurus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2017
    Hi everyone! My name is Ellie and my fiance and I just struck out on our own chicken rearing adventure. We bought 15 chickens from Meyer Hatchery, using their "brown egg layer production" selection, and while I have most of our little pullets sorted down to the two or three options their breeds COULD be, I've got 3 little ladies who are baffling us. They're silvery/very pale grey, with yellow tummies, black eyes and beaks, and dark legs with pink toes.

I Googled the breeds that make up the options for the Brown Egg Layer Production pack, but none of their chicks look similar to the ones I described. I'm stumped. I feel like Google is the one who has let me down, because I doubt that Meyer included chicks that weren't in the listed options, but if anyone could give me a hand in figuring out just WHAT they are, I'd really appreciate it!

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Hmm, I'll try and see if I can remember breeds that fits the description. But if you post a picture of them it would help a lot!

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
  4. elliesaurus

Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  5. elliesaurus

Jan 18, 2017
    C: Double post

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

It's not google's fault, those chicks aren't any of the breeds they mentioned.

But, hatcheries reserve the ability to sub breeds as they wish, especially in an assortment like this.

From what I can see, I'm leaning towards a Marans. Mostly because of the white/pink skin....but most of their Marans look to have feathered legs.

the next guess is a lavender Orpington. Also white/pink skin, and the chicks look pretty similar. That may be your bird.

post again when they're feathered out, around 6ish weeks, and we'll be able to give you a better idea. It may take a few months to get a good ID, sometimes you need to wait for a more mature bird to see body shape instead of just baby gawky [​IMG]

7. elliesaurus

Jan 18, 2017
    Oh wow, I wasn't expecting a breed substitution. Especially not for lavender Orpingtons... Meyer sells those for a pretty penny! If that's the case, that means I probs have 7 Orpingtons out of 13 hens. (We got a little cockerel, too, and it looks like he might be an Orp too) I was hoping for a little more variety but I certainly can't complain lol!

Thanks for your help, I will be sure to show them again when they're a little older. C:

8. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm definitely leaning towards Lav Orp. [​IMG] But I agree that we will know for sure once your little one starts feathering in.

~Alex

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, substitutions aren't always great, but in this case they could sure work in your favor.

Even if you're wanting more egg production bred birds, you could easily raise these birds up to a few months old and sell some if you want, using the money to purchase birds that will lay more eggs. Lavender Orps should fetch a pretty penny. Or, you can keep them, they're supposed to be wonderful backyard birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by