1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver lace comb?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fussy8, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    My silver lace comb is a big bubble! it has NO fingery things on it. It was not there yesterday and now i am wondering what in the heck it is!!! It is a hen and she is 7 months old! Can anyone tell me what it is?

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Silver Laced Wyandotte? Is that the breed you're referring to? Can you post a pic?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  3. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Yesv and here you go!
    [​IMG]

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Its called a rosecomb which is what a wyandotte is suposed to have.

5. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    OK!!!!!!!!!! thank you soooo much!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]:weee

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you have any Wyandottes with a comb that looks different (for example, a sawtooth appearance) then THOSE are the ones to worry about, as they're not true to type and possibly not purebred. [​IMG]

7. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    One of my Wyandottes has the correct rose comb, the other has what I call a bubble gum comb. It looks like somebody stuck gum on her head. Its a blob with rounded smooth edges, and no little points at all. I'll have to look for a Pic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you're worried about aesthetic details like how smooth or bumpy the comb is, that's the last thing you should worry about with your Wyandottes. [​IMG] Weight, body shape, and lacing quality are the first, as they're the farthest from the standard.

But beyond that, really, they're fine. As long as you love them as a good laying pet, that's what counts. [​IMG]

9. SunnyCalifornia

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    Yes, my layers are my pets. All feed store chicks. They're definitely not show birds. I just thought the comb was so odd, once I learned what it was supposed to look like..... thanks to BYC!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by