Silver Lace Wyandotte acting strange

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cntrywmnkw, Oct 20, 2013.

1. cntrywmnkw

cntrywmnkw Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2012
    Utopia SC
    I could use some advice, I have a 1 1/2 yr old Silver Lace Wyandotte that has started acting strange. Her comb & wattles are nice & red, but the last few days she stays by herself when I let others out to free range, she stares off & acts like she doesn't know what to do, she just stands & stares, then half heartedly pecks at ground, very rarely scratches ground & when she walks, she almost squats down, stretches her neck out & backs up several steps. I have noticed she's starting to drop feathers & she's not eating a whole lot. Any ideas what's wrong?

2. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    maybe she's molting please send a pic

3. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    sounds like when my chicken had cocidiosis, it had all the same symptoms you explained exactly. sadly, it passed. i would get it checked out, i know there are a few things that i read on that i cant remember off the top of my head that might be able to help it. i think yogurt might be one of them but again i cant really remember

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The feather loss is probably because she's beginning to molt--that is common in 1 1/2 year old birds. But her other behavior is a bit concerning. Is her abdomen swollen at all, and has she been laying? Coccidiosis is unlikely because of her age, though I would consider worming her. Also, check her skin and feathers for mites/lice, as they can cause anemia, weakness, and stress (which can force molt her).

If you can, I would isolate her in a clean, warm place so you can observe her. Perhaps put some vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics in her water to boost her energy. Make sure she eats and drinks properly, and try to minimize stressing her out.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2. The feather loss seems normal if she's molting, but she might have other problems.

• Cntrywmnkw: Check to see if her abdomen is hard, which might indicate that she is egg bound. She could also have another egg-related problem, like internal egg laying or an accumulation of fluid (Ascites-- not really related to egg laying). What does her crop feel like? Is it hard or squishy? Is she eating anything?

Check her eyes, too. The behavior that she is experiencing (staring off into space, only halfheartedly pecking) sound a bit like a chicken that can't see very well.See if her pupils are round and if they respond to light. Also see whether the are cloudy or greyish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by