Silver Lace Wynadotte - Updated Pictures! - "She" is 6 Weeks old Now - What Gender?

If you have a female SLW it makes it more clear in comparison if one is male, especially as they grow. Our guy had much more comb etc than our girl. I also read that male SLW will get white patches at the tops of their wings and I could see that on our guy at 7 weeks.

Also...here is a picture for comparison(these are not hatchery birds-they were Foley line). The boy is on the right- see how he has a darker area aroung his neck? Plus his comb is pink.

AmpersatChick, It sounds like your kids got to name the chickens. ;-] I have to admit I over ruled all the goofy suggestions and our 12 chickens all have 'old lady names'; Agnes, Pearl, Opal, Charlotte, Beatrice, Blanche, Hazel... That is a beautiful SLW Roo! Were you able to keep him or did he have to find a new home? I hate having to rehome these chickens that turn out to be Roos, after we have hand raised and taken special care of them from day one. They are definitely pets! Did you have an opinion on my chick's gender? I have to admit, my chicks comb/waddle look similar to your Roo's. But my chick does have a lot more white around his neck, which someone mentioned is more a female trait.

PeakyBeaky, Those are beautiful Wynadottes! I hope you got to keep both of them! I will keep you guys posted on this chick's developing identity! ;-D

AmpersatChick, It sounds like your kids got to name the chickens. ;-] I have to admit I over ruled all the goofy suggestions and our 12 chickens all have 'old lady names'; Agnes, Pearl, Opal, Charlotte, Beatrice, Blanche, Hazel... That is a beautiful SLW Roo! Were you able to keep him or did he have to find a new home? I hate having to rehome these chickens that turn out to be Roos, after we have hand raised and taken special care of them from day one. They are definitely pets! Did you have an opinion on my chick's gender? I have to admit, my chicks comb/waddle look similar to your Roo's. But my chick does have a lot more white around his neck, which someone mentioned is more a female trait.

You are right, our boys named the chicks
big_smile.png
Although I did make sure I got to name a few, all of my names are food related (Kung Pao, Cupcake, Noodle) Even being a roo that poor guy just can't shake the name Chick Woman. We are lucky enough to live in a rural enough spot to be able to keep what we want but with 2 roos out of 11 one will have to go.
sad.png
One of those boys will be heading for the table when they're big enough. This is our first flock and I have to admit, it's going to be hard to do, but the reason we got into this was to provide food for the family that we know is well cared for and it is so much work to raise them up just to give roos away. I'm too new to chickens to have an opinion on your chick, sorry.

Here's my pair at 6 weeks. The boy is on the right and the girl is on the left.

In the next two pictures they were between 4-5 weeks, the comb and wattles were not as big, but were fairly red on the boy.

Outside 'watching chicken television' this evening, I snapped a few more pics, just for fun. I was trying to get a good shot of the feathers, because a few people mentioned feather coloring and patterns as relating to gender.

Our SLW and a few friends, our Light Brahma, "Opal", and Buff Orpington "Hazel".

Mama Hen Chris, Thanks so much for sharing a pic of your Zsa Zsa! I'm assuming that this bird ended up being a pullet? This is encouraging because that is basically what my Lacey looks like. Mine might be a little redder in the comb, but the feathers etc., look very similar, and the comb/waddle are about the same size.

Mama Hen Chris, Thanks so much for sharing a pic of your Zsa Zsa! I'm assuming that this bird ended up being a pullet? This is encouraging because that is basically what my Lacey looks like. Mine might be a little redder in the comb, but the feathers etc., look very similar, and the comb/waddle are about the same size.

Zsa Zsa is now 18 months old. She is a hatchery gal.

Back
Top Bottom