Silver Laced Barnevelder 2 wk chicks and ?

Cluckatar

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Vashon, WA
We hatched these silver laced barnevelder chicks 12 days ago from shipped eggs. 14 eggs went in incubator, 12 into lockdown (with a fair number of wonky air cells) and we were super happy to get 6 healthy chicks hatched. However, one of them does not look quite like the others. It's egg had slight spotting, and it is the reddish brown chick in the center of the pic. We've raised about 4 barnevelders over the years, never silver laced before. Anyone know what to expect from the red chick?

Attachments

• IMG_7841.jpeg
    IMG_7841.jpeg
    682.9 KB · Views: 68
We hatched these silver laced barnevelder chicks 12 days ago from shipped eggs. 14 eggs went in incubator, 12 into lockdown (with a fair number of wonky air cells) and we were super happy to get 6 healthy chicks hatched. However, one of them does not look quite like the others. It's egg had slight spotting, and it is the reddish brown chick in the center of the pic. We've raised about 4 barnevelders over the years, never silver laced before. Anyone know what to expect from the red chick?
Looks like it may be a gold laced. Did the breeder you got the eggs from have both kinds?😊

I think they do have both. It looks like a barnevelder for sure though, right? Just the wrong color for Double Silver Laced. It is of course our favorite. I have no idea how I will convince it that it belongs with the egg laying flock here instead of with its hatch mates. But that's a later-me problem. We're hoping these are the start of a breeding project for us.

I think they do have both. It looks like a barnevelder for sure though, right? Just the wrong color for Double Silver Laced. It is of course our favorite. I have no idea how I will convince it that it belongs with the egg laying flock here instead of with its hatch mates. But that's a later-me problem. We're hoping these are the start of a breeding project for us.
Awesome! Yes, it looks like a Barnevelder still. Probably got mixed up with the other eggs. 😊

Do barnevelders lay lightly spotted eggs? I've only had four hens previously and none of them did. That was our one thought on "who are you little red chick?" is that it came from the lightly spotted egg.

It's a tough chick to get a photo of face on. I zoomed in, but there is so little comb to look at, it's hard to tell. She is the brown one on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_7863.jpeg
    IMG_7863.jpeg
    482 KB · Views: 41
Brownie continues to be a bit different. She is also the smallest of the group, but was the first to hatch.

Attachments

• IMG_7924.jpeg
    IMG_7924.jpeg
    544.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7923.jpeg
    IMG_7923.jpeg
    602.4 KB · Views: 38

Back
Top Bottom