1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Brahmas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BuffOrpington1, Sep 3, 2016.

1. BuffOrpington1

BuffOrpington1 Just Hatched

Sep 2, 2016
    Does anyone know where I can find these beauties![​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Do you mean as adults or as chicks? Have you checked your local state threads, the brahma thread, or various hatcheries?

3. BuffOrpington1

Sep 2, 2016
    I mean chicks, But at every hatchery in state says they don't breed those

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hmmm....I typed in that breed into the BYC search box and several threads came up. You might give that a try - maybe you can Private Message someone who has some and can hook you up with some baby chicks. Good luck to you!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC, Redsoxs has given you good advice. I hope you will be able to find a source for that breed.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC. It's great to have you!

Silver Laced Brahmas are rare and, like many varieties of Brahma, may only be found in the UK. No matter what you're not going to get them from a hatchery, only a private breeder.

1 person likes this.
  8. BuffOrpington1

Sep 2, 2016
    Does Anyone know what birds have to breed to have Silver Laced Brahma chicks?
    I assume SLW and a Light Brahma but I am not sure! If anyone knows please tell me!

9. BuffOrpington1

Sep 2, 2016
    The real reason why I want them because they have good egg laying of SLW and the beauty of a Brahma and beautiful lacing!

10. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I'd start with Silver Laced Cochins and Dark Brahmas. But a breeding project involving a direct outcross of breeds and such complicated patterns is going to take an easy 20 years to get anything that looks like an honest to god Silver Laced Brahma. Certainly at least four or five generations before you get anything that doesn't look like a straight up mutt.

It's doubtful SLW were used in any cross to create SLB (which based on a quick google search are only seen in the US as project stock right now) and I imagine that any SLB is going to have the same laying ability as your typical Brahma (decent but not great).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by