Silver laced chocolate Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickaddict44, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Chickaddict44

Chickaddict44 Chirping

Aug 3, 2014
    Hello..it’s been awhile since I’ve posted here and I’ve come here for your educated thoughts. I hatched 11 silver laced chocolate Orpingtons that are still in the project stages from a breeder. Out of 11, three of them are white. I’ve attached pics. The breeder has told me that she’s only hatched a couple white ones out of hundreds and I got three in one small hatch ..lol I believe all 3 are cockerels. How did I end up with white chicks? I’m curious what I should breed them with, if it all? They have wonderful personalities.

Attached Files:

Joev1973 and ChickNanny13 like this.
  2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Looks like recessive white, rather than dominant, so it shouldn't mess up your breeding scheme too much if you add them to the gene pool. Just remember that, statistically, for every one bird with two copies of recessive white, there are at least another two birds with only one copy—so if you cross the white birds with a sibling that carries recessive white, half of their offspring'll be white.

There is also the fact that you're unable to see the markings on those birds. Which would probably discourage me from using them.

i can't think of any other downsides.

Chickaddict44 and ChickNanny13 like this.
  3. ColtHandorf

ColtHandorf Songster

Feb 19, 2019
    Commerce, Texas
    Are they bantam?

Agreed about the recessive White. I'd just combine them into one pen occasionally making split and crossing them back in. The White is going to cover everything underneath it.

I'm getting ready to work on a Lavender and Blue Silver-laced Large Fowl Orpingtons myself.

4. Chickaddict44

Chickaddict44 Chirping

Aug 3, 2014

Thank you! That makes sense.

sylviethecochin likes this.
  5. Chickaddict44

Chickaddict44 Chirping

Aug 3, 2014
    Hi...not bantams however one is quite small. Sounds like you have a lovely project going.

ColtHandorf likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: