1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silver laced cochin bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kryptoniteqhs, Dec 1, 2008.

1. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    ive got three. 2 hens and a roo....one of the hens is by far the nicest. Also younger than the other two, but not by much. I am told all are about 2-2and a half months old. I am wondering if once they are bred if the babies will be nicer. Also, will their lacing look better in the summer or as they get older, or will it always stay kind of "blended." I am planning to get more and slower filter out the bad ones. I will post pictures just as sson as I am able to get them uploaded. Should be shortly. Oh and for now there are some pics on my BYC page...but Ive got better more up close ones of them to be put up. I just took some about an hour ago.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=18603-cochin-bantams
    Go here for pictures of them!!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. BeakSanctuary

BeakSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    I have a few from a hatchery from September and I can say that yours are much prettier! MUCH prettier, though I'm no judge/expert, whatever, just from my own point of view. I don't have any pictures handy, but mine are quite small, not as well-defined in terms of pattern, to name only a couple of things.

3. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    really? well thank you...i was told that mine were not show quality, i dont care though, i dont wanna show. lol. but, the one is nice at the bottom, i think, but like you had said, no expert. i think the other two (top two) are bad as far as their color pattern, but im hoping they improve when they get older or in the summer? you need to get some pics of your on here even if they are bad....i dont care

4. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    sounds like theyre the same exact age as mine...you've got me interested.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Their coloring will change significantly as they age. After their first molt at about 1 year of age, they usually color in even nicer.

6. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    great! now im happy lol [​IMG]

7. BeakSanctuary

Aug 31, 2008
    You might never see a picture of mine, hehe... Their lacing for one thing seems to me to look more like thin stripes on the feathers - maybe it will improve, maybe they're just not that good-looking, which is kind of my take on it. Kind of streaky.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  8. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    penciled or barred maybe??

9. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Hi there, I just looked at your pics. Very pretty birds! I just wanted to say that Big Mama kind of looks like a boy to me. I'm no expert by any means, but the feather pattern, comb, and tail feathers look a little rooish to me. I have a silver laced cochins that is 18 weeks old. Ordered St run and got all boys so ended up getting rid of 3.

Here is a picture of one of the boys at about 14 weeks old
    [​IMG]

10. BeakSanctuary

Aug 31, 2008
    That's sure beautiful, chickenfever.

kryptoniteqhs, lthey ook more like brahmas somehow though they were cochin bantams. Although - I could have this confused because I did receive feathered fancies at the same time as the cochin bantams and maybe I can't tell that they're just small standards right now, which could be brahmas, and I'm mistaken that they're bantams. I have too many chickens, I guess. I need to spend more time in the barn, lol, and maybe I'd be less wrong and less confused! Maybe I'll photograph those suckers on the weekend just in case I can have the mystery solved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by