1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Cochin Roo or Hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Vangeek, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Vangeek

Vangeek New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    United Kingdom
    Hi I am a new member to this site. I have had chickens for the last 2 years, usually buying pullets but last August I had a broody hen and decided to try hatching my own chicks. My lovely hen managed to hatch 2 sweet baby silver laced Cochins who we have always thought were female. They are now 6 months old and one has started being a little bit dominant to all my other hens pecking at the back of their necks, and today I came out to find it was trying mount one of my other chickens! It has never crowed but I am starting to think that maybe it could be a roo? Can anybody advise?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. FreeRangeSpirit

FreeRangeSpirit Out Of The Brooder

Yep, that looks like a rooster. I have had cochin roosters and they never crowed and were very quiet. A hen will never mount another one. Sorry about the disappointment. :)

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    No doubt, Rooster

4. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Yep.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Agreed, no doubt a roo.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, some hens will mount other hens in a dominance thing, but usually not a young hen of this age.

That tidbit aside, this bird is all male. Cochins are slower to develop, they can take a good year to mature.

7. johnnyj216

johnnyj216 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Well....here are a few pics of 2 of our new what we first thought were supposed to be Silver Laced Wyandotte but come to find out they are Silver Laced Cochins.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Avianman

Avianman Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    Looks incredibly dark for a true silver laced Cochin. Beautiful chick though ,

9. johnnyj216

johnnyj216 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2013
    Here they are at 6 weeks old. The first set of pics are of them at 3 days old.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    Yes, that is no doubt a rooster. My bantam hen barely has a comb and it's very pink. The large, deep red comb and wattles, as well as the yellow feathers signal a roo. A hen would have much more lacing than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by