Silver Laced Orpington Breeding

GeorgeEngOrps2

Hatching
Mar 14, 2017
This is a what would I get Question?

I have 2 extra Silver Lace English Oprington Roosters. I was looking to use them. What would I get if I put a Silver Lace Orpington rooster over Gold Lace Orpington hens? Or over Black hens? Or over Chocolate / Chocolate Cuckoo?

Thank You!

This is a what would I get Question?

I have 2 extra Silver Lace English Oprington Roosters. I was looking to use them. What would I get if I put a Silver Lace Orpington rooster over Gold Lace Orpington hens? Or over Black hens? Or over Chocolate / Chocolate Cuckoo?

Thank You!

Honestly, some mixed chicks---probably cute though!

English Orpington. I have Lavender, chocolate, chocolate cuckoo, black, mottled, silver lace and gold lace. I thought there was some percentage that would come out silver lace.

Yes, I had not heard of a silver laced orpington either, but I got some eggs in a pure bred shipment (sampler)recently, I love orpingtons!
dawnacus 460.jpg

I hate it when people revive dead threads...lol But I know the answer to a few of those crosses. It'd be nice to have all the possible outcomes listed for anyone else who uses the search function.

Silver-laced x Gold-laced
- 50% Silver-laced Pullets
- 50% Gold-laced Cockerels

Silver-laced x Black
- 100% Black offspring

Silver-laced x Chocolate
- 100% Black Offspring (split to chocolate?)

Silver-laced x Chocolate Cuckoo
- 50% Black Pullets (split chocolate)
- 50% Black Barred (split chocolate)

Silver-laced x Black(?) Mottled
- 100% Black offspring (split mottled)

Silver-laced x Lavender
- 100% Black offspring (split lavender)

All the chicks would have a possibility for carrying the lacing gene also, like how the mottled hens would produce split mottled birds, correct?

@nicalandia @The Moonshiner @CountryFlock will you double check me and tell me where I'm wrong? I practiced some with the calculator to double check myself.

Pretty much right. With chocolate it depends on what gene is causing the chocolate colored dilution.

Also with barring it depends who’s mom or dad. If the cuckoo was the dad then expect all offspring to be barred. A similar thing can happen with the Choc gene.

Breed a chocolate cuckoo roo to a silver laced hen. You might get something interesting.

Cool. :) The OP stated they were male Silver-laced Orpingtons, so I assumed the cross would be male Silver-laced over the other colors.

I'm not so sure about the slo to black. I have a partial laced slo female that came from a slo roo and black hen. Its one of Faradays. At least I'm pretty sure that's what the parents were.

I also have a mystery chick that im struggling to figure out. Faraday thinks my slo is the daddy, but we dont know who the mom is. All I have is black, lav, chocolate and the partial slo hen. I'll post a picture this evening it. I would suspect the mom would be the chocolate since the base color is brown on this guy.

Back
Top Bottom