Silver Laced Polish: Panting, drooping wings...PLEASE advise

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CackedNut, Oct 26, 2013.

1. CackedNut

CackedNut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2013
    St. Tammany
    [​IMG] My Silver Laced Polish (Stubbie Nubbie) was sitting in the coop by herself yesterday afternoon. Today, she is too quiet, and has started panting and her wings are drooping. There is no discharge out of her nose, or eyes. I've also checked her over for injuries and have found none. She is 6 months old and has not started laying eggs yet. I gave her some yogurt and added ACV to the water. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. She is my 8 yr olds favorite hen.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Whoever advised you to use ACV and yogurt didn't know what they were doing. The bird is 6 months old. Have you used a medicated feed, or used a preventative water treatment for coccidiosis at any time during the chicks development over the last 6 months?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  3. CackedNut

Jul 16, 2013
    St. Tammany
    Yes, they were on medicated feed up until 4-5 months of age. They were vaccinated for Marrecks when they hatched. This is the first time we've had any issues.

4. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Give them a Corid treatment in their water. 9.6% solution is 2 tsp per gallon of water, or the 20% powder is 1 tsp per gallon. Give it for 5-7 days making a fresh drinking solution each day. Make sure there is no other drinking source besides the Corid treated water. In areas where coccidiosis is a problem, it is not uncommon for flock raisers to use a preventative treatment every 3 weeks up until 9 months of age.

Medicated feed can lose its potency if not stored properly, and birds fed a variety of other foods often don't eat enough of it to be an effective preventative.

After treatment, run vitamin-mineral & probiotic dispersible powder in the water for 3-5 days. Avian Super Pack is high quality. So is Probios dispersible powder.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  5. aljeffers

aljeffers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2013
    Clinton Tennessee
    I wished I had seen this I lost one of my SLP a few months ago. I hope your girl makes it.

6. CackedNut

Jul 16, 2013
    St. Tammany

Unfortunately we lost her. It's been very sad at our house. My eight year old has been crushed. Thank you for your kind words.

7. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Very sorry about both your Silver Laced Polish hens. If you have any more mortality, I'd recommend a necropsy. Here is a list of local labs that generally don't charge backyard flock owners: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/labs_app.pdf

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  8. aljeffers

Jul 15, 2013
    Clinton Tennessee
    So sorry to hear that; they are so sweet and special. My little girl Priscilla aka Cilla bean follows me everywhere when I am outside with the hens so I understand your pain and loss.

9. CackedNut

Jul 16, 2013
    St. Tammany
    Your avatar photo is beautiful. Your girls are lovely. Stubbie (named by my 8 year old) was always in his lap or being carried by him. She followed him everywhere! I had to draw the line at my 8 year old riding his bike with her. Stubbie was our only SLP. We have 2 GLP, but not the same. The 8 year old is still adjusting, but the rest of the flock seems to be doing well. Everyone is being treated with Corid in their water.

10. aljeffers

Jul 15, 2013
    Clinton Tennessee
    Thank you, those are and were my sweet girls. I wish you good luck in finding another SLP as sweet as Stubbie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by