Silver Laced polish + Rhode Island Red mix?

chickendude

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Dutchess County NY
Here is a picture of Sid my SLP at about 5 months. What might I expect to get if I let one of my RIR girls hatch some out. Anyone have this combo and pictures they can show?
33356_img_0975.jpg

33356_img_1536.jpg

So I realize this is an older thread, but other people probably have the same question. My sister and I bred our silver laced Polish rooster with some Rhode Island Red hens (and others). I have some photos of the cross if anyone is still interested.

As chicks they were all black with little red cheeks. (as seen as the chick in the center)

(Above, day 2; Below, week 1)

The chicken on the right is the SLP/RIR cross

Weeks 2-3 they started to get lacy feathering.

In week three you can see they are also developing the crest.

Week six they start losing the red on their cheeks and the crest gets bigger. They also get very lacy.

Weeks 10-12 they get bigger and fill out. At this point we think all of our SLP/RIR crosses are pullets. We haven't seen any roo characteristics such as saddle feathers or large, red combs. Maybe they are just late bloomers and the roos aren't that pretty.

Week 10

The RIR crosses with the others of the hatch group

(Week 12 below)

Only the lacy ones are the RIR crosses. We have OEGB roos and some SLP/Australorp/EE crosses in the pic as well.

So that is what you get if you cross a silver laced Polish roo with some Rhode Island red hens. Cute chicks but drab pullets. Don't know about the eggs yet since they haven't started laying (we predict August), but they will probably be a lighter brown than the RIR brown.

Okay, so here is an update. The pullets have grown and started laying eggs. Here is how they look now at 26 weeks.

Their eggs are a light brown/tan. Not light enough to be a creamy brown, but lighter than a Rhode Island egg. Here is a picture for comparison. The brown egg on the left is an egg from their RIR mother and there is a white OEGB egg to the far right. The two SLP/RIR crosses' eggs are in the middle.

And that's it. No more pictures. However I am interested if anyone else has done this cross and what their roosters look like.

If you were asking me for the update there isn't much to write. They haven't changed much since the last pictures. As for egg productivity, we seem to be getting one every day from them, so they are very productive.
I would like an update from Gracehomestead too if that was who you were asking. I would love to see those chicks and what the roosters look like.

Well I will have to get pictures But we just hatched a few of my polish eggs and was surprised that one is actually a RIR Golden polish cross!! I had a feeling this might happen cause I caught my RIR mounting the Golden lace hen not to long ago. They are now in seperate pens but the chick is too cute. Marked just like the golden lace chicks but without the polish chick puff AND it has a rir comb. I will be doing pictures tomorrow!
None of my red sexlink eggs hatched which was my fault...had issues with the new incubator. Hopefully this round will be better. My niece also took 6 polish and 6 sexlink to school for ffa to hatch so I will keep you updated if we have any more crosses!
Here is a picture of my silver lace Polish and Golden laced polish Roosters.

We are getting ready to add my Golden laced cochin eggs to the bator and they will be crossed with either one of these polish roosters. That will be a crazy combo for sure lol

Back
Top Bottom