Silver-Laced Sebright crossed with Orpington?

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Has anyone ever seen a rooster who had a Silver-Laced Sebright Bantam father and a Buff Orpington mother? Does a picture of such a mixed breed exist anywhere? If so, I'd love to see all photos.

Clare

I don't have pictures but I have info. In case you're not good with genetics I will not get in to all that, but the result would be: Just like a Silver Laced Sebright (comb, feathers and everything) except: instead of white he would be covered in yellow, creamy laced feathers instead of white laced. Hope this helps in any way.

P.S. You can't cross a Sebright X standard Orpington. The size difference is astronomical and they can't breed. However Orpi bantams can be crossed with sebrights.

Last edited:
I think my Sebright Bantam had a traditional Sebright mother and a White Leghorn father. People in this group have looked at her picture and say she's much larger than a regular Sebright bantam, and there were no Orp bantam roosters where she came from. i will post a picture of her.

Here she is. This picture was taken on Tuesday, the day she turned 9 weeks old:

84553_merryetta9weeks.jpg

And this is the chick that I thought had a Sebright Papa and an Orpington Mama. But now folks are suggesting that perhaps the father was a White Leghorn and the Mama an Easter Egger. What do you think of that theory???

84553_dscf6781_1.jpg

Interesting! I don't think there is anything else silver-laced where she came from. And they said their other 5 Sebrights had died, all they had was the one rooster. But maybe the egg was laid right before the other Sebright hens died. I'll have to ask when they all died. Maybe it was right after the egg was given to me. That's possible, I guess. But do you think she looks too big to be a pure-bred 9 week old Silver-Laced Sebright? A full grown Barred Rock hen is in the background for comparison.

There are only 2 rooster choices for the chicks in question: White Leghorn or Silver-Laced Sebright. No other breeds of roosters are there at that farm. I have a feeling his mother was a Buff Orpington (the guy on my head, that is). But I'm wondering why the white of the Leghorn didn't come through much, and where those beautiful slate-blue hackles came from?!

Back
Top Bottom