1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver-Laced Sebright Roosting Behavior?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ClareScifi, Feb 6, 2014.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Does anyone know whether the Silver-Laced Sebright breed is likelier than other breeds to try to roost at night outside during the winter, instead of inside their coop? Does anyone own 2 1/2 year old Silver-Laced Sebrights who roost outside at night in winter, by choice?

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Hi,

It's not really a breed issue, it's more of a bird's personality. We have stubborn chickens too [​IMG].

HS Pye

3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    My chicken is 2 1/2 and has never done this before. I'm worried. She's always had quirks, such as laying eggs only from February to the first day of summer, which is a characteristic of this Banty breed. I didn't know it at first and was so worried when she suddenly stopped laying on June 21, but then I learned this breed does this. So I was hoping they also tend to roost outside, being true bantams, maybe wilder than other breeds, perhaps not minding being outdoors at night? But she's always gone into the coop at night until last Sunday, and then she also roosted outside last night, and it's very cold here at night.

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I did find her outside last night when I was shutting the coop in the dark and put her inside the coop. I was afraid it might get windy and drafty, and she'd get sick. She went inside the coop tonight, but I tend to think there must be a reason she has been trying to stay outside at night. Could the older hen have gotten impatient with her and be pecking her more these days? Could the full-sized rooster be trying to mate with her. Or could she have a fever or Marek's Disease?

5. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Nearly all of our barred rocks roosted up in trees instead of in the coops. We had three coops that remained almost empty because everyone preferred the 16-20 tall trees just behind one of the coops.

6. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Even in the middle of the winter, JadedPhoenix? I'm wondering whether she could be broody and wants to separate herself away from the flock inside the coop???

7. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    And she has never shown the slightest interest in roosting outside before now, in all of her 2 1/2/ years.

8. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I may have figured it out. Just read a thread about chickens roosting outside at night when it is darker inside the coop than outside, when they decide to go to bed. There is an ice ridge outside the coop door which prevents the door from opening as far as it usually does. Thus, its darker in there than it usually is. Some chickens are afraid to go inside a dark coop because of the scary unknown and thus stay outside, instead. That makes sense. My bantam is always the last one to go inside, playing outside as long as possible, darting in and out of the coop, and by the time she decides to go in, it is probably spookily dark inside the coop, so she stays out, instead. Makes total sense to me. I will melt out the ice ridge with hot water tomorrow.

9. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Some just like the outside better. When mine did it, it didn't matter if it was darker or lighter outside. They did it in both cases.

10. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Well, the blocked door situation is something new, and she has never done this before, so I suspect that is the reason. She might be broody and have a hot breast. That is another possibility. When chickens do things like this, I find there is usually a very good reason, if they have never done such in the past.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by