1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Something?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Omniskies, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I bought a pair of Silver Laced Wyandotte bantams and the rooster is definitely not a SLW. He looks identical to the breed I was supposed to get, only he has white legs instead of orange, a somewhat leaner body, and a cross between a "real" rooster tail and the feather ball Wyandottes tend to have.

I'm still working on getting a picture of him. He's only about five months old. Any help identifying what bantam he might be is appreciated.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I think we really do need a pic..

3. Omniskies

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Here is a picture of him:

[​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd guess that he is simply not a very *good* SLW [​IMG]

The Standard of Perfection is a well and fine concept but not everyone is knocking themselves out to breed closely to it, and even among those who are, some chicks are born that just sort of flunk out from the breed standards.

JMHO,

Pat

5. Omniskies

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    Thanks. I'm thinking of keeping him around to mix and match with other chickens to see what I come up with. Knowing that he's probably a Wyandotte will make it easier to piece together what should be done with him.

6. SGM

SGM Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Easley, SC
    Beautiful bird, kind of looks like a Silver Sebright.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Wyandotte

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Well he has the right kind of comb, but his legs aren't the right color. He could just be a mix. He's pretty whatever he is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by