1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver laced with single comb???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by augustinao27, Dec 14, 2010.

1. augustinao27

augustinao27 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2007
    I have what looks like a silver laced wyndotte young rooster. However he does not have the rose comb, it is a single comb. What is he since there is no rose comb? And he is suppost to be a pure breed and I picked him with 20 other mixed lot purebreed chicks.

I will put pictures up later today. Just wanted to see if anyone has heard of this type of chicken.

2. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Some hatchery wyandottes will have a single comb [​IMG]

3. augustinao27

Aug 13, 2007
    Is there something special about them? We do a lot of showing for 4-H and I do not want to have him be a possible show bird if he can not meet standards.

4. farmnfowl

farmnfowl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    Please post a picture of him i would like to see him.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    If he's a Wyandotte, that comb will count as a disqualification, but you may find someone who wants him for that quality. Where are you located?

6. augustinao27

Aug 13, 2007
    When I get done with work I will post some for you. Do you know anything about a single comb SLW?

7. augustinao27

Aug 13, 2007
    I am from Timken kansas about 30 miles from Great Bend

8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Hatchery Wyandottes often have single combs (a disqualification at poultry shows). I got five Golden Laced Wyandottes from Cackle Hatchery. Three had single combs and two had rose combs...

9. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:You're not that far away! You should check out a BYC user named Katy for some incredibly fine SLW, and she's not that far from you. She probably can help you with a stunning, winning bird. I don't think your fellow will make it in a show, since the single comb is a no-no. Where did you get him?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  10. augustinao27

Aug 13, 2007
    I do alot of breeding. I deal in blue breeds and sexlinks. I will check out your bird. I have to very preety SLW pullets that were bought when he was. I got them from Welp hatchary six months ago maybe give or take a few weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by