1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Wyandote- boy or girl? - Pictures

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken Frenzie, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Hi. My SLW is looking boyish every day. We got 'her' and another Wyandotte and the GLW (other) is a week older, but Lacey's (SLW) waddled and comb looks different and WAY bigger.
    Heres Lacey:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lacey was born April 17th, 2011and I took these pictures today.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    I say Girl... here are my boys Thor and Loki that were born March 7th and this pic is a couple of weeks old so they would be about the same age. There is a huge difference in the size. They also have much more white across their backs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yours looks just like my Batman who is actually a hen. I don't have recent pic of her.

3. melodie_a

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    I forgot to mention that Loki has a straight comb so he looks a little different... so just ignore that part! lol

4. Chicken Frenzie

Nov 2, 2010
    xD Okay, thanks [​IMG]

5. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    That's a hen! I have a BLRW that has a comb and wattles almost as big as the roosters!

6. Chicken Frenzie

Nov 2, 2010
    xD, wow!
    It's just my GLW who is way older doesn't look like that [​IMG].

7. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    Very pretty hen [​IMG]

8. jnkir7

jnkir7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    jonesboro arkansas
    Quote:SO THEY CAN HAVE DIFFERENT COMBS, I HAVE ONE WITH A STRAIGHT COMB AND WAS GETTING READY TO SELL HER BECAUSE I THOUGHT SHE MUST BE MIXED.

9. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    One of my SLW hens have a straight comb as well The other girl has a comb like the one in the first picture.

10. melodie_a

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Quote:SO THEY CAN HAVE DIFFERENT COMBS, I HAVE ONE WITH A STRAIGHT COMB AND WAS GETTING READY TO SELL HER BECAUSE I THOUGHT SHE MUST BE MIXED.

They can have them in pure lines but it is a recessive trait from what I am told and is not desirable if you are looking for breed standard. I am going to get rid of him anyway so he will go to someone with a mixed flock who doesn't care about the improper comb type.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by