Silver Laced Wyandotte 8 Months Old - Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by morgank09, Jan 20, 2015.

1. morgank09

morgank09 New Egg

Jan 20, 2015
    Garland, TX
    Hi everyone!

My boyfriend and I bought 3 baby chickens from a local feed store the end of May 2014. They are our first chickens! They were unsexed and I was terrified about accidentally getting a rooster because we can't have them here. We got lucky, no rooster! Except my Silver Laced Wyandotte (Jinx) is approaching 8 months of age and hasn't laid an egg yet. The other two hens, Lola (a Buff Orpington) and Brownie (an Ameraucana), started laying in November. Brownie started around the first week and Lola started soon after, about a week and a half later.

Jinx looks completely like a hen. We were getting worried for a while that she's a rooster since there hasn't been an egg from her, but from what I can tell none of her feathers are sickling and there would at least be one of those at 8 months old, right?

I happened across an article talking about hens that lay eggs internally. Somewhere it mentioned that if they had any sort of sinus infection, bronchitis or anything when they were younger, this could affect them as adults. Now I don't know if Jinx had bronchitis or anything, but as soon as my boyfriend and I read that we just looked at each other dreadfully because when she was little she'd breath with her mouth open and it'd sound raspy. The other 2 did this during the summer as well, like a panting to stay cool, but their's wasn't raspy and happening all the time.

Could Jinx just be a late bloomer and the winter pushed her schedule even farther back? Am I being a hypochondriac with this internal egg laying thing? She is also very anti-social, unlike the other two.

Here's a bunch of pictures of them. Sorry they are small. If better pictures of Jinx would help y'all form opinions I will take more when I'm home and upload them!

[​IMG]
    During the ugly chicken stage haha. Lola and Brownie in the back and Jinx in the front.

[​IMG]
    That's how Jinx breathed a lot when she was little, she still does it but not as frequently.

[​IMG]
    Lola and Jinx again.

[​IMG]
    Jinx's face close up.

[​IMG]
    There's Jinx next to Lola, sorry it's so small. This is the most recent.

[​IMG]

Them being bums in the grass lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Brownie and Lola, Jinx in the background.

[​IMG]

Brownie :D

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know!!

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    This is Smokey and Bandit, they are 10 months old going on 11 now. Also came from a local feed store. I wasn't as lucky as you and my pullet turned into a Roo, [​IMG], but he is a nice boy so he gets to stay. I just started to find eggs from Smokey about a week ago, however after doing a little closer inspection it would appear she has been laying for awhile, but eating them as soon as they are laid, caught her red handed/beaked. I guess I will purchase some roll-a-way nest inserts to see if that prevents her from the egg eating. She has been laying in the morning and I usually do not go out before noon so I never saw eggs they were devoured before I arrived on the scene. Bandit isn't even 8 months old in this pic and he was crowing by 3 months. Your's is a hen for sure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Naptime.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  3. morgank09

morgank09 New Egg

Jan 20, 2015
    Garland, TX
    Thank you so much for responding! You've put my mind at ease, and calmed my boyfriend down from his "taking up space they're livestock" when I feel like they're my pets that just happen to provide eggs haha. You've helped me buy Jinx a few more months!

Smokey looks just like Jinx! And that picture of Bandit is way too cute. Makes me want a rooster haha. Here's some pictures from today :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Them eating tomatoes lol

[​IMG]
    Brownie loves the camera lol. She comes everytime I pull my phone out.

4. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Must be a guy thing, my hubby hates to admit they are pets too! I think the SLW's are a little slower to start laying and winter tends to shut a lot of them down anyway, I think you'll see eggs from her before too long. I have a pair of Barnevelders as well and they usually don't start laying until they are over a year old, so some breeds are just slower to start. [​IMG]

5. morgank09

morgank09 New Egg

Jan 20, 2015
    Garland, TX
    JINX LAYED HER FIRST EGG TODAY!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by