Silver Laced Wyandotte, 9 months old, hasn't started laying yet.. why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kaylapohovich, Nov 8, 2017.

1. kaylapohovich

kaylapohovich Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Fair Oaks
    Hello All, I am a first year chicken owner with a flock of 9 goofy 9 month old girls. 8 of my girls are laying and have been for a few months now. My Silver Laced Wyandotte however, Thelma, has never laid a single egg and I don't know why. Any ideas? She has finished her adolescent molt, she is of age, she is a she, Her comb an wattles are bright red...All signs are there but no eggs. She doesn't squat because she wont let us get near her for some reason (classic juvenile behavior). Again, everyone else is laying but her. They have 6 laying boxes, layer feed as well as 4+ hours/day of free range in the yard, and oyster shells and crushed eggshells readily available for them as they need it. Water, dust baths, rain protection, no predator threats, the works. They got it made. So why is my Thelma a "dud"?

Insight on another thread (that I didn't realize was for another cause, oops) offered that her comb and wattles are indeed not fully developed - even at 9 months old.

Is this breed a notoriously late bloomer?

FullSizeRender.jpg
    Here she is now, photo taken this afternoon.

2. Mary's Backyard Chickens

Mary's Backyard Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2017
    Ohio
    Your other chickens could have started laying early. Most chickens, however, don't start being on a full egg laying schedule until they are 10-12 months old. She will start laying by then!

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs I Wanna Be A Cowboy Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Switching growing pullets to a lower protein ration like a layer will slow down maturity. Fall maturing pullet tend to take a month longer to start laying than spring maturing pullets. Generally Wyandotte start at 5-7 months of age.

The feed switch will slow them down, I would put them back on a non medicated grower or an All Flock ration.

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 True BYC Addict

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    2x oldhenlikesdogs....When I did the switch from Chick Starter to Layer at 18wk no one laid until they were 8 - 10 months! I have had Orpingtons, Wyandottes, EEs & RIRs. Then I read about Flock Raiser, it's made a difference! Plus I ferment their feed....

Someone gave me 5 Blue Wyandottes that were 6 months & not laying, they were on layer. I put them on FR (Oyster Shell on the side) within a couple of months they were laying, figured it would take some time due to the move & change. They even warmed up to me but then it came time for them to go back to their owner.

I got 4 BOs at 8wks put them on FF/FR....The 1st laid @ 25wks, 2nd @ 28wks, 3rd @ 29wks & 4th @ 30wks. So far all are giving me eggs every day :)

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    SLW are not necessarily later bloomers. I have 2 hatchery SLW this year and they started laying at 20 weeks.
    Her comb does not look quite plump and red enough to be laying...but you might want to check her pelvic points to make sure she is not actually laying.
    She's got a bit of a funky wattles there, did it get nipped as a chick?
    This is my first layer less than a week before she started laying:
    upload_2017-11-9_7-10-49.png

This is inaccurate (and the second time I've seen it inside of a week, hopefully it doesn't continue to be copied and spread).
    Most breeds start laying between 18 and 28 weeks old.
    A few may start sooner, some may start later.
    Birds coming into that laying age range in the fall,
    when daylight is shorter in duration,
    may be delayed until days start growing longer again after the winter solstice.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  6. kaylapohovich

kaylapohovich Just Hatched

Apr 13, 2017
    Fair Oaks
    She didn't get nipped as far as I know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by