1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silver Laced Wyandotte Acting Peculiar

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sarak, May 16, 2016.

1. sarak

sarak Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I have a silver laced wyandotte acting strangely for the last few weeks. She often walks in circles. Seems lost from the rest of the flock sometimes. I've seen her lay down and instantly fall asleep in the middle of the day, which is unusual. Since yesterday she has one droopy wing that she doesn't move. She seems to be just acting strangely in general. I am not positive, but I think she has also stopped laying. About a month ago I got some strange eggs - a few soft shells then a few small and white rather than the regular brown then a few under the roost rather than in the nest box. I suspect these were from her. She still eats fine and roosts at night. She is just over a year old. Any ideas on diagnosis? I was thinking it may be neurological - maybe a stroke? She is currently part of a small flock of only 4 birds. No one else shows any symptoms.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
  3. sarak

sarak Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thank you for the suggestions. She was vaccinated for Marek's as a chick, so I do not believe it is that. This has been going on for months now, slowly deteriorating. But, no other chickens show any symptoms so I tend to think it is not any type of contagious virus. She now also sees to have gone blind. This has really diminished her quality f life as she often gets separated from the flock while they free range, has trouble getting her self up and down the ramp to the coop, and does not forage well. She has been on vitamin supplements (Rooster Booster) for 2 weeks with no improvements. I am looking for any suggestions for last ditch efforts I can try. Thoughts? Otherwise I feel I may need to put her down in the near future.

4. sarak

sarak Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I am starting to wonder if it might be Newcastle disease. In which case I worry about the other chickens catching it.

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

6. sarak

sarak Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thank you so much for the reply. I did not realize that about the Marek's vaccination. I know there is no cure. I assume she needs to be euthanized to protect the rest of the flock?

7. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    More than likely your flock has already been exposed. If it truly is Marek's some do survive, they would just be considered carriers for life.
    If you feel like her quality of life is gone and she is suffering then letting her go may be kinder, that is something that only you can judge. I do recommend you send her for necropsy if you put her down, just to verify what exactly you are dealing with.

Your long term goals will help you determine what to do as well. If you plan on selling chicks, breeding stock, etc., then consideration of the impact Marek's can have will help you make those decisions. If they are just a backyard flock, then it may be something that you can live with and manage in a closed flock situation.

@Nambroth has kindly collected information and gives a great point of view on what Marek's is, how to make tough decisions when you have Marek's in your flock. It's quite lengthy, but packed full of valuable information, insights, and resources.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Necropsy Info:
    http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
    http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

8. sarak

sarak Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thank you again for the great information. I guess my biggest concern now are the 9 4-week old chicks I have in a brooder in my basement. They were not vaccinated. I fear I may lose several of them when they are introduced outside if this is indeed Marek's. It sounds like the effectiveness of the vaccine is questionable after they reach 36-hours out of the egg.

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I can understand your concerns.

There is always a possibility it could be something else, you just never know. Some birds can be just carriers and pass it on showing no symptoms and live a perfectly healthy long life. Some can be resistant. To me it is a puzzling illness even though there is quite a bit of information out there, it seems like there are no concrete answers as what to do, how to completely avoid it and what measures to take if you do have it in your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by