Silver Laced wyandotte - am I right or my husband?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sugarjax06, May 30, 2011.

1. sugarjax06

sugarjax06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    Hubby thinks pullet - I say cockerel. I hope he is right though! It is about 10.5 weeks old. I have 3 really good pictures but for some reason it will not let me upload those (says that it is not a jpeg but it is) so here are the 3 that it will let me upload. Hopefully they are good enough!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right behind a New Hampshire roo and the pullets are in front - they are the same age but very different combs
    [​IMG]

2. Mom2Munchkins

Mom2Munchkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I wish I was helpful... I am having the same trouble right now with my 3 SLW! So hard to tell for some reason!

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    My gut says that YOU are right. I am pretty sure it is a cockerel. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2011
  4. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I vote pullet -I think your husband is right- I have a SLW that looked just like that at that age - and "she" is the beauty queen of the flock- and a prolific layer of gorgeous light brown eggs. [​IMG]

5. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    I think cockerel because it doesnt look like my Wyandotte hens when they where pullets at all

6. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Rooster...those white wing patches should get bigger. Is he breeder or hatchery?

7. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    It is a silver laced wyandotte.Hope you wanted a rooster though [​IMG]

8. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:X2

9. sugarjax06

sugarjax06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    As far as breeder/hatchery - I bought a dozen brown eggs from a local place that sells lots of chicks. I can't see the adults and I don't know where they originally got them from. Does it look like good quality?

I bought the eggs that they sell for eating rather than paying per egg for a specific breed cause I just wanted brown egg layers. This was the only SLW so I don't have anything to compare it to. Obviously from the pictures, it is so much different than the New Hampshires (or barred rocks I had)! It's comb is so small and it's legs so thin. Our other cockerels legs are like tree trunks yet compared to the pullets, the SLW is way more red.

10. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Nothing screams roo, but it does resemble more to be rooish than a pullet. My girls looked similar, but the waddles on yours is much larger so I'm leaning roo at this point also, but hopefully I'm wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by