Silver Laced Wyandotte at 5weeks. Too soon to tell?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by whillo, Jul 21, 2010.

1. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    This is Roobie, so named because from the day we met (she was two days old) she has been standing taller, eating faster, flapping the hardest and giving us the stinkeye every chance she gets. Would love to change her spelling to just plain ol' Ruby and know that I'm dealing with a rowdy girl rather than a cocky roo. Is it too soon to tell by these pictures? (Wish the closeup was not a little blurry, but she is not a very still bird.)
    This is Roob at 5 weeks:

This was Roob at 3 1/2 weeks:

Thanks for your help!
  2. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    I'd say too soon to tell. Give him(her) 3 weeks and we'll allknow for sure (I hope)
  3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

He's a Robby, sorry [​IMG]
  4. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I just had 5 SLW chicks, and I'd definitely guess roo on that one. I had 2 that were that red with that much comb development at about 6 weeks, and they got new homes.
  5. paigerdoodle

paigerdoodle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I also have two silver laced wyandottes that i hope are pullets. One is a bit larger than the other and it's tail feathers are much more prominent. Good Luck!
  6. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    Oh boo!!! [​IMG]. What is it about him that you say that? Is it mostly the color of the comb? the tail? the posture?
    Are you certain or is there a remote possibility so I should hang onto him for awhile? I am swaying having a rooster but I don't want a crankybutt one and this bird is already a handful. [​IMG] I so wanted a slw.
  7. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    I'm guessing roo...
  8. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Definitely WAIT to know for sure! I had a mixed batch of chicks this spring and my SLW was bigger, redder and stronger than the rest of my birds... I was worried she was a HE but... months later she is definitely a HEN. She's just beefier than my other ladies. We call her the AMAZON because she is so strong.
  9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have to agree with roo. I have two at ten weeks that don't have that much comb yet.

ETA - I would wait on sending him/her away until you are sure though. You just don't know until egg or crow! [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  10. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    im going with rooster. its the prevalence of the comb that makes it stand out to me, and coupled with his stance.. im saying hes a man.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by