Silver laced wyandotte chick

Planning to make this a "growth progression/what did the sex end up being" thread for my SLW named Jules. "She" has suspiciously pink comb/wattles, but evidently that can happen sometimes with SLW pullets. Attaching photos at about 1/2 week, then 4 weeks. Will hopefully remember to update regularly until sex is known for sure.

Jules is from Mt Healthy hatchery (via local feed store) and was part of an all-female order.
Handsome little Julian, definitely. Pretty cockerel!

Notes about Jules's behavior (5 1/2 weeks approx):

1. Play-fights to establish pecking order with my most pullet-y chick pretty regularly. They both initiate "combat."

2. Very aware/suspicious of environment. Perks up at weird noices. Stares at new things, but does not approach first.

3. Lets my orpington pullet check things out first (new food, venturing out of brooder, etc).

4. Does not prefer to be pet/handled, but will perch on me if "caught" first.

5. From a young age, was always staring at the camera, etc.

Ok, here is a composite image showing combs/wattles from 4 weeks until 5.5, and then updated 6 week old photos today. One has all "three amigos" just for fun/cuteness.

I sent photos to the hatchery yesterday and they said it was "too soon to tell for sure" and that this breed you really should wait for saddle feathers to come in. 🤷‍♀️ Not sure I agree, but okay. We can wait.

Attachments

• 20210309_135818.jpg
    20210309_135818.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210310_151709.jpg
    20210310_151709.jpg
    607.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210310_151712.jpg
    20210310_151712.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210310_151741.jpg
    20210310_151741.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 23
Ok, here is a composite image showing combs/wattles from 4 weeks until 5.5, and then updated 6 week old photos today. One has all "three amigos" just for fun/cuteness.

I sent photos to the hatchery yesterday and they said it was "too soon to tell for sure" and that this breed you really should wait for saddle feathers to come in. 🤷‍♀️ Not sure I agree, but okay. We can wait.
Most of the time Wyandottes pink up early and like to confuse you.

This one I feel 100% confident saying cockerel. That is the most red comb and wattles I've ever seen on a 6 week old Wyandotte.

The camera does make them look sliiiightly more red, but not much. I will be VERY surprised if Jules doesn't crow soon. But waiting for that, male-pattern feathers, or saddle feathers to be 100% sure. For science! :lau

Ok, 6.5 week update and request for advice. I have someone who wants a rooster for her SLW pullets she recently purchased - a.k.a. a home for Jules besides "freezer camp." Should I go ahead and give her Jules? Or continue to watch his growth?

If it weren't for his mutant wattles, I'd guess pullet - no white patches coming in on his shoulders, rounded neck feathers, didn't feather out particularly slowly, not bigger than the others. But those wattles!!!??
20210314_182519.jpg
20210314_182552.jpg
20210314_182639.jpg

Ok, 6.5 week update and request for advice. I have someone who wants a rooster for her SLW pullets she recently purchased - a.k.a. a home for Jules besides "freezer camp." Should I go ahead and give her Jules? Or continue to watch his growth?

If it weren't for his mutant wattles, I'd guess pullet - no white patches coming in on his shoulders, rounded neck feathers, didn't feather out particularly slowly, not bigger than the others. But those wattles!!!??
View attachment 2569851View attachment 2569852View attachment 2569853
If you have the opportunity to send Jules to a good home, I'd take it. This one is looking like a cockerel. One of those cases that I would assume cockerel until proven otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom