Silver Laced Wyandotte feathering

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sunshine23, Dec 27, 2010.

1. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    I'm just curious about the lacing on my SLW, she's 22 weeks now and her lacing is very irregular. Will her feathers still change to a better lacing pattern or is this it?
    She's a hatchery chick and I know they don't have the best lacing but is there hope?
    My GLW looks so much better than her

Here she was 14 weeks but she doesnt look any different now

[​IMG]

Her front feathers look really pretty but not her back

[​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Unfortunately, birds that are bred more for production will not have the nice lacing of birds bred towards the show standard. Her feathering may improve with age, but will not look as even and she will not grow to be as large as standard-bred birds.

3. Jaboyd2u

Jaboyd2u Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Branford Fl
    Quote:I agree 110%! Albeit she is a pretty little thing she may have an outcross in her line... I can not remember exactly which breed is bred into the SLW but I have a friend that bought them from a hatchery some had rose combs and some single combs, they do not get as big as the Heritage Wyandotte's. Or Heritage breed birds in general. The Wyandotte from what I was told through reliable sources is not a very fertile breed that is the main reason for the out-cross. My father and I breed an raise heritage fowl once we dug a little deeper into chickens. I do not want anyone BLASTING me so I WILL say that SOME small time hatcheries do try and stay as close to standard as possible and it is possible to get very nice birds from said hatcheries but really in my opinion it is better to get from heritage pure line chickens. Below is our Light Sussex at only 5 months old none of the pictured hens are laying except for the one in the top left, the roo is also pretty young I believe he was 7 months in this photo. They are now a little bigger and laying.
    [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

The others are right in that her lacing won't improve much. The hatcheries don't really care how the lacing turns out or that her body type is all wrong for a wyandotte.

5. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    My GLW, while a very pretty pullet, isn't laced very well either. She is also a hatchery chick. (edited to add) Oh, and she has a single comb.

[​IMG]
    This was December 1, 18 weeks or so.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  6. sunshine23

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    Thanks for the replies

the other thing is that she has no comb, is this normal for a 22 week old?

[​IMG]

Here's my GLW, I think her lacing is not that bad and I believe she has a rose comb, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

She has a comb....a rose comb. As she gets closer to laying it will plump up and get red.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I've honestly never seen a hatchery Wyandotte with good lacing, and the worst, I've never seen a Wyandotte with an even halfway decent body (sorry) - They should be plump, large, and round . . . They're anything but that. Especially their tails. Especially mine.

And hey, at least yours don't have "lacing" as bad as mine. [​IMG] Take a look here at how bad hatchery stock gets:

This girl is practically spangled -

[​IMG]

This girl has so little white they're in strips -

[​IMG]

And still, even the most decent lacing is very pointed, and the body. . . Wow. Look at that practically "2D" tail.

[​IMG]

Also notice the excessive black "peppering" on the tail. (Besides the other fact that this is the saddest Wyandotte tail I've ever known)

[​IMG]

9. sunshine23

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    Quote:Thanks Katy the SLW on your avatar is beautiful!

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Thanks Katy the SLW on your avatar is beautiful!

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by